Seeking guidance on how to contribute

Hi all,

I am new to the language and am amazed by all the thought and effort put into it and their wonderful results. I would like to contribute in some way but don't know where to begin. I skimmed the official contribution guidelines and was overwhelmed with the sheer amount of options. Seems to me that some suggestions on specific areas/issues approachable to newbies would help me get started.

Many thanks!

1 Like

This week in rust usually has a section for projects that are asking for help. I think that's probably the best thing to get started.

That being said, rust has steep learning curve, so probably the best thing you can do is use it for your own projects so you get to know the language better before trying to contribute to other crates. That's not to say that it's not possible, but you'll be able to contribute high quality much easier if you already tamed the beast!

In practice, if you use rust, you'll find bugs, missing features, missing tests and documentation in your dependencies, and filing pull requests to fix those helps everybody, yourself in the first place.

Another possibility is taking on missing tasks from rosetta code, porting them to rust and preferably ask for review in the user forum rather than here, or on reddit, before publishing them.

8 Likes

Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.