Can anyone please mentor me on Rust contribution?I can start with documentation...I need a guidance please

Can anyone please mentor me on Rust contribution?I can start with documentation…I need a guidance please

Welcome! This Week In Rust has a Call for Participation, including easy things that you can do to contribute. The most recent one links to this issue.

Consider offering your help and requesting a mentor on that issue specifically. Looking forward to your contribution. :slight_smile:

@thank you taralx…but when i click the link i see alot of issues.Can you please walk me through…?I have never contributed to open source before

Ah, it looks like someone has already started working on that one, sorry. I suggest subscribing to the This Week In Rust newsletter and keeping an eye out for things that you can do.

What do you want to work on?

CONTRIBUTING has some documentation on what the process looks like, https://forge.rust-lang.org/ has documentation on how to start hacking on the compiler.

To begin with, once you have cloned the repo, you can just run (depending on your platform) ./x.py build --stage 1, which will build a new rustc from source that will live in build/<PLATFORM>/stage1/bin/rustc.

Ah, it looks like someone has already started working on that one, sorry.

I’ve run into that a few times. I’ve had better luck at finding issues that someone isn’t already working on by going to https://www.rustaceans.org/findwork/ since it is generally more up to date, or picking a project that interests me and looking for issues tagged as “Help wanted”, and possibly something like “Easy” or “Beginner”

I followed the steps below outlined on rust build page , I install dependencies, cloned the project and build it but i am still getting this error:-

############ERRORS I RECEIVED AFTER BUILD FOLLOWING THE STEPS BELOW###################

Compiling alloc_jemalloc v0.0.0 (file:///C:/Users/Frank/Rust/rust/src/liballoc_jemalloc) error: failed to run custom build command for alloc_jemalloc v0.0.0 (file:///C:/Users/Frank/Rust/rust/src/liballoc_jemalloc) process didn’t exit successfully: C:\Users\Frank\Rust\rust\build\x86_64-pc-windows-gnu\stage0-std\release\build\alloc_jemalloc-3b741a8b623d562e\build-script-build (exit code: 1) — stdout

failed to run: C:\Users\Frank\Rust\rust\build\bootstrap\debug\bootstrap build --stage 1 Build completed unsuccessfully in 0:01:32

################STEPS I FOLLOWED#############

MinGW#####

MSYS2 can be used to easily build Rust on Windows:

1. Grab the latest MSYS2 installer and go through the installer.

2. Run mingw32_shell.bat or mingw64_shell.bat from wherever you installed MSYS2 (i.e. C:\msys64 ), depending on whether you want 32-bit or 64-bit Rust. (As of the latest version of MSYS2 you have to run msys2_shell.cmd -mingw32 or msys2_shell.cmd -mingw64 from the command line instead)

3. From this terminal, install the required tools:

Update package mirrors (may be needed if you have a fresh install of MSYS2) pacman -Sy pacman-mirrors # Install build tools needed for Rust. If you're building a 32-bit compiler, # then replace "x86_64" below with "i686". If you've already got git, python, # or CMake installed and in PATH you can remove them from this list. Note # that it is important that you do **not** use the 'python2' and 'cmake' # packages from the 'msys2' subsystem. The build has historically been known # to fail with these packages. pacman -S git \ make \ diffutils \ tar \ mingw-w64-x86_64-python2 \ mingw-w64-x86_64-cmake \ mingw-w64-x86_64-gcc

1. Navigate to Rust’s source code (or clone it), then build it:

$ ./x.py build && ./x.py install