rustup is a project with fairly limited scope, but there are some important features left to implement, and lots of bugs, and lots that needs polish. It could use more contributors, so @Diggsey and I will try to keep the issue tracker better triaged, and escalate tasks that are amenable to contribution.
There are only a few big features on the roadmap:
- Update signing
- Windows GUI
- The rustup
rust-src, and today they must all be installed explicitly. Fixing this will require defining an extension to the rustup manifest format, then modifying rustup.
- The rustup
docspackage is always installed today, but not always desired. Again the manifest format needs to be updated.
Overrides that can be checked into version control
- Today rustup version pinning is local, but applications stuck on nightlies (like servo) frequently want a way to express this in their VCS, ala rbenv
Volunteers are needed for these, though the windows GUI and update signing issues are large projects. The overrides feature I intend to do myself.
If anybody can help move that forward it would be appreciated, though otherwise I will get to it sometime this cycle.
Next, there are a number of smaller issues that look relatively important to me, and are mostly relatively easy to pick up without much context:
- Wrong exit code when rustup update fails
- Build with panic=abort
- Extract rustup manifest definition and validator share with rustbuild
component addshould succeed if target/component is already installed
- Please show me the version I’m downloading/updating
- “update not yet available” message should not error
- Windows confirmation prompt not disabled with -y
- rustup tries to sync channel updates for non-updatable channels
- No info printed on
rustup target remove
- Use ShellExecute to open docs on windows
- Improve error message when override doesn’t exist
- Should download and install concurrently
- Optimize disk access during install