Welcome to the second issue of the CLI working group newsletter!
The CLI WG’s goal is to make writing cross-platform, well-tested, modern command line applications in Rust frictionless.
In our last issue we asked you to participate in a small survey to help us gauge what areas to focus on. We are very pleased to say that we have received over 1000 replies! Thank you all so much! Your replies were super helpful, and a lot of them were very detailed and gave us invaluable insights.
You can find our summary of the survey results here. We’ll also make sure to link to the results when opening new issues, and add quotes from the survey as motivation for issues to work on.
What we have been doing
- There were two CLI sessions at the Rust All Hands in Berlin. You can find meeting notes here.
- The first meeting was about the survey results (see above)
- The second meeting was about distribution.
- @spacekookie created a repository for the confy crate (after getting the crate name from the previous owner)
@spacekookie also started the thunder crate, which is a proc-macro to generate clap-based CLIs with subcommands using attributes on
- @epage opened a pull request to refactor how assert_cli works
This newsletter will be released regularly. If you want to get something mentioned, leave a comment on this issue.