Hello everyone! Sorry for inactivity, end of the year was tough.
I’ll try to outline where Russian translation currently is, and what help could we use. I was one of the main authors of this translated version.
Overall, we have everything translated, and it was synchronized with the original at some point. I’ll now cover some specifics in several areas. Feel free to ask any questions.
I validated that everything was synchronized with 1.2 book in, like, Aug 15. Since then, other Russian community members (including @defuz) sporadically updated parts of book that are noticed to be outdated. Sometimes I create issues in our repo when I notice some big changes to some chapter are underway. The current update tracking process, I believe, is pretty chaotic. I don’t know if current Russian book is fully updated to match original.
We have rudimentary support for simpler tracking, but it lacks usability: there are files with git commit hash next to markdown files of chapters. These files mean the last revision in original repo when the translation was updated. I don’t know of any real usage of this, as infrastructure for processing this is missing.
What would be better, I think, is to store translated version in same repo, or at least unite the original and translation via git submodules. That way, noticing out-of-date translation would be way easier.
Completeness and adequateness of translation
As I said, we have everything translated, in terms of volume. We also have a policy as to what should be translated and what shouldn’t - like, names of people that refer to Rust’s authors shouldn’t be translated. I can provide the details if necessary.
We don’t deviate from structure of the book at scale larger then a paragraph. Where we do deviate a bit, sometimes - is where we decided to paraphrase the original sentences because they were hard to read and fully understand in Russian or were stylistically strange per norms of Russian. We didn’t specifically rewrite any noticeable part of the book.
Also, we had changes reviewed and continue to do review of all changes. Reviewers team is about 5 people. This is to underline that I’m not the sole judge of the style (and overall quality) of the translation
There’s also one swiping stylistic change: we decided to prefer more formal style with “we” instead of “I” for author, that leans towards style of university textbooks. I don’t mean we stripped off all jokes or anything - it’s just “feel” we changed.
Overall, we strove to not blindly “translate”, but to “localize” the content.
We not only translated the book, but also provided PDF, Ebook and MOBI versions. This is done via Calibre and is pretty flaky. Different readers support formats differently, and there were issues in reader version of the book emitted by Calibre we couldn’t fix as fighting with styling Calibre does wasn’t successful. Could really use help here.
We also have continuous deployment to GitHub Pages.
The repo that currently has the translation is owned by GitHub user
kgv, who was inactive since last spring. I tried to find some contact info but couldn’t. I have write access, along with some other people, but these are not contributors that are most active today. Not having access to repo’s settings, I thought of forking the repo to our organization, that currently has the repo of Russian community site. I didn’t get to it yet.
My opinion on translation services
As the bulk of the book is already translated, we have review setup, and we use GitHub with Travis to continuously deploy the book, I don’t think we could benefit from them. There are some really tricky problems in translating a technical text like TRPL - we had days of battles in review of changes. So I don’t think barriers of git and GitHub are the bottleneck for those who would like to participate in translation.