Vagrant box for rust core development

Hey Folks,

At the meet up for getting started contributing to rust, there was a little difficulty provisioning amis for developers to get started working on rust. I put together a vagrantfile to set up rust development.

The steps to get setup are

1. Install Vagrant
  2. git clone git@github.com:estsauver/rust-dev-box.git
  3. cd rust-dev-box
  4. vagrant up (Step 4 takes a while, maybe get coffee and go for a walk.)
  5. vagrant ssh

And you’re in a box set up for developing against rust-lang/rust.

Thanks, Earl St Sauver

Nice. I had my own version for doing this, but hopefully we can have a working Vagrant box so new people can get into the language with more ease.

Hey @hjr3,

That’s great! If you have your Vagrantfile floating around somewhere, I’d love to eyeball it for comparison purposes.

Also, I published a “Box” version on Hashicorp’s page. This way the box’s setup steps have already been run, which should make the start time to being able to develop really fast.

https://atlas.hashicorp.com/estsauver/boxes/rust-dev-box

~Earl

Have you guys figured out how to get debugging / linting / autocompletion working with a local IDE using remote vagrant host to compile / run the code? I was able to get remote execution work using a VScode build task, but I couldn’t get the hinting / auto completion without installing rust on my windows machine.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.