Seeking beta testers for Rustup 1.27.0

Hi everyone!

Following dist: bump `rustup` version to `1.27.0` by rami3l · Pull Request #3653 · rust-lang/rustup · GitHub, I'd like to announce on behalf of the Rustup team that Rustup 1.27.0 beta is now available for testing and we are currently looking for beta testers to ensure that this update does deliver the improvements that we would like it to include.

We would be happy to receive regression/breakage reports of any kind, especially regarding the installation/usage on the following platforms/environments:

• fish shell: This version should automatically handle PATH configs for your Rustup installation;
  • Raspberry Pi 4 and up with Pi OS installed: The target triple detection on 32-bit userland + 64-bit Linux chimera should have been fixed now;
  • loongarch64-unknown-linux-gnu: This will be the first release to support this host platform.

To begin, all you need to do is simply switching to the dev environment by setting the RUSTUP_UPDATE_ROOT=https://dev-static.rust-lang.org/rustup environment variable and update (or install) rustup. [1]

Many thanks in advance!

1. To switch out of the dev environment, just remove that environment variable and do a rustup self update. ↩︎

10 Likes

It seems to work on Fedora39/fish. I never noticed anything bothersome with my workflow; is there something I can do for you to give it a little exercise?

1 Like

Any detailed steps/commands I need to run? The basic command seems to run just fine.

🐡 ❯ env RUSTUP_UPDATE_ROOT=https://dev-static.rust-lang.org/rustup rustup check
stable-x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu - Up to date : 1.76.0 (07dca489a 2024-02-04)
nightly-x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu - Update available : 1.78.0-nightly (8ace7ea1f 2024-02-07) -> 1.78.0-nightly (2bf78d12d 2024-02-18)
rustup - Update available : 1.26.0 -> 1.27.0
- **Firmware Version:**                            P1.70
- **OS Name:**                                     Fedora Linux 39 (Workstation Edition)
- **OS Build:**                                    (null)
- **OS Type:**                                     64-bit
- **GNOME Version:**                               45.4
- **Windowing System:**                            Wayland
- **Kernel Version:**                              Linux 6.7.4-200.fc39.x86_64
1 Like

@mysteriouspants @azzamsa Thanks a lot for helping out!

The thing for fish users is that, IIRC on previous versions of Rustup you had to configure the PATH variable manually. The consequence is twofold:

1. Right after a new Rust installation the binaries are still not included into PATH so you'll have to source something to make it usable, but we didn't include a script for fish until now.

Now you should get a prompt informing you that a .fish script is available, which will make it possible to execute something like cargo --version right after being sourced:

1. You should be able to remove the manual inclusion of the Rustup PATH in your fish config now, since we'll install ~/.config/fish/conf.d/rustup.fish during setup.

You might need to reinstall Rustup to see if it works alright.

I did some experimentation and got the newcomer experience to work. (Rustup is so easy to work with, I had zero qualms just deleting it and reinstalling it a few times).

~ curl --proto '=https' --tlsv1.2 -sSf https://sh.rustup.rs | RUSTUP_UPDATE_ROOT=https://dev-static.rust-lang.org/rustup sh

... snipped ...

This path will then be added to your PATH environment variable by
modifying the profile files located at:

/home/xpm/.profile
  /home/xpm/.bash_profile
  /home/xpm/.bashrc
  /home/xpm/.config/fish/conf.d/rustup.fish

...snipped...

This is usually done by running one of the following (note the leading DOT):
. "$HOME/.cargo/env"            # For sh/bash/zsh/ash/dash/pdksh
source "$HOME/.cargo/env.fish"  # For fish
 ~ source "$HOME/.cargo/env.fish"
 ~ rustc --version
rustc 1.76.0 (07dca489a 2024-02-04)

Starting a new terminal window shows that the environment script gets picked up as expected. It truly "just works," even more smoothly than before (which IMHO was a pretty high bar).

~ which rustc
/home/xpm/.cargo/bin/rustc
 ~ echo $PATH
/home/xpm/.cargo/bin /usr/lib64/ccache /usr/local/bin /usr/bin /bin /usr/local/sbin /usr/sbin /sbin

In my experimentation I was not able to get the fish script to be output when updating from rustup-1.26 to rustup-1.27. I reckon that's probably fine, since if you already have rustup you're using something like Oh My Fish's rustup plugin (like I was; I uninstalled it for this experiment), or have modified your PATH manually.

Good work, let me know if there are any other things you'd like me to test.

1 Like

@mysteriouspants Glad to know that the new fish support is working perfectly for you!

let me know if there are any other things you'd like me to test.

I guess that's all for now. Thanks again for testing it out, and hope you enjoy your day :smile:

Hi, thanks for arranging the release! I've tested installation on loongarch64-unknown-linux-gnu and can confirm it works great.

2 Likes