Rust 1.71.0 pre-release testing

The 1.71.0 pre-release is ready for testing. The release is scheduled for July 13. Release notes can be found here.

You can try it out locally by running:

RUSTUP_DIST_SERVER=https://dev-static.rust-lang.org rustup update stable

The index is https://dev-static.rust-lang.org/dist/2023-07-10/index.html.

The release team is also thinking about changes to our pre-release process: we'd love your feedback on this GitHub issue.

7 Likes

It seems we really should address github refusing to render release.md online. Maybe split the file by year or edition?

13 Likes

I would like to mention the issue 112308 which is affecting 1.71.0 : rustc warns on missing documentation for an extern crate even though the docstring is not used by rustdoc.

I found it while testing 1.71.0 on OpenBSD: several programs are failing to build due to #![error(missing_docs)] usage.

3 Likes

Thanks! The rustdoc team just approved the fix for backport and we should have time to include it in the release. I think the issue wasn't tagged as a regression perhaps or at least didn't get treated as needing backport...

1 Like

The "internal changes" section of the changelog is empty, is that intentional?

Oh, we should remove that. It's a normal placeholder heading, but nothing stood out to me to put there this time. Or suggestions are welcome there too!

[stable] 1.71.0 release, backports by Mark-Simulacrum · Pull Request #113602 · rust-lang/rust · GitHub will re-build artifacts for stable with a backport fixing the rustdoc regression (thanks for flagging it!) and some empty sections dropped from release notes (thanks for noting them!).

1 Like

an alternative I would like to mention: there could be an official and improved alternative of releases.rs (in addition to the markdown file)

It seems to render for me now, when it didn't last release. Maybe because I'm on mobile?

It's now rendering on PC as well. But it didn't when I originally posted. Maybe Github updated the limit somehow :joy:?

The new warning suspicious_double_ref_op doesn't seem to be documented or have any extra information that would help someone to diagnose and fix it. The message is fairly opaque too.

It's documented here.

2 Likes

Thanks. Perhaps linking that in the release notes would be appropriate? I wasn’t able to find that based on my ddg searches.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.