Farewell, Rust

I am moving on from Mozilla, and for the time being, taking a break from Rust projects in general.

Rust has been the kind of project one only dreams to be a part of. And I’ve had the fortune to be involved in it from nearly the beginning. I’m grateful that I was in the right place at the right time to help build something so special.

I’ve had unique and delightful experiences here. I’ve learned a lot, about building software, about being part of a community, and about myself. It’s been rewarding to see so many great things blossom from this project, to see so many young engineers building their careers off of their success in Rust.

I will be taking some time away from the software world to follow my own pursuits. To reset and enjoy a change of scenery. I may or may not return to Rust. I don’t know.

At some point I’ll probably want to be employed again, probably as a software engineer. I have diverse talents. Please do email me, but again I do intend to take a break for a while.

I’m sure this is leaving a lot of loose ends, but Rust is in good hands, and you’ll figure it out. To my friends and colleagues: it’s been fun, thanks for the memories, I wish you the best.

133 Likes

@brson Sad to see you go, but I loved every minute that I got to work with you! Good luck wherever you go! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I’m sure this is leaving a lot of loose ends,

Your "someday list" could become a public document like this:

Your Rust experience could be used to teach new Mozilla Rust devs.

1 Like

Thanks for the great work you did here.

It was a pleasure to work with you. Have fun with whatever the future reserves to you!

Can’t agree more with the others. It was a pleasure working with you! Best of luck in your new endeavors!

Who’s going to be the new lead of the project?

On the Mozilla side, I've been managing the Mozilla Rust team for a couple of years now.

On the Rust project side, @nikomatsakis and I jointly lead the core team, but not in any formalized way; we operate by consensus.

8 Likes

Thanks, @brson, for what you’ve done for Rust. We’ll miss your unlimited ambition and unflinching attention to quality.

11 Likes

It was a pleasure to meet you @brson! I hope our paths cross again in the future.

Have fun!

Best of luck to you, Brian!

I remember when you first came to Mozilla while I was an intern on the Rust team. This remains to this day one of the most fun projects I’ve had a chance to be a part of, and the great people like you that worked on it were a huge part of that.

I love the genuine enthusiasm and encouragement you have always shown for the things people have done in and with Rust.

I can’t wait to see what you come up with next!

1 Like

Loved getting to know you a few years ago when I was interning at Mozilla, and I really appreciate what you have done for Rust as a project. The fact that I am now moving to a new job using Rust is definitely a reflection of the good work you and the rest of the team have done over the last several years! Thanks for demonstrating such excellent professionalism and friendliness over your time at Mozilla and on Rust - you are an inspiration to us all.

1 Like

Wish you the best for your post-Rust life!

Brian, it was a pleasure to briefly work with you. Thanks for all your contributions and engagement for the Rust project.

I wish you the best for what is to come.

Best of luck with whatever comes next, @brson! I know it’s been a while since Servo & Rust worked together closely, but I really appreciated all your help and support in the early years of the project.

Not to mention all of the lifting we did at various Gold’s Gym’s around the world on business trips, particularly with our Samsung friends. Stay strong!

1 Like

Good luck Brian!

Brian, thank you for being an inspiration to me in my adventures in Rust and for your huge contributions to the project.

I wish you all the best of luck!

Brian, thanks for the time spent together on Rust and I’d be happy to see you around.

I hope to see you return to Rust and I wish you all the best :).

Have a good time, Brian, and thank you so much for the important role you played in making Rust what it is today!

Sad to see you go. Your impact on Rust will not be forgotten.

Good luck in whatever you do next!

1 Like