The Library team is moving from IRC to Zulip

You may remember this blog post from last year:

The Rust community has had a presence on Mozilla’s IRC network almost since Rust’s inception. Over time, the single channel grew into a set of pretty active channels where folks would come to ask Rust questions, coordinate work on Rust itself, and just in general chat about Rust.

Mozilla recently announced that it would be shutting down its IRC network, citing a growing maintenance and moderation burden. They are looking into new options for the Mozilla community, but this does leave the question open as to what the Rust project will do.

[…]

Since then most Rust project-related synchronous text communication has moved to either Zulip or Discord. The Library team however had remained in the #rust-libs channel on IRC.

With the shut down of Mozilla’s IRC network approaching (see Next steps in Synchronous Messaging at Mozilla: The Decision - Mozillians - Mozilla Discourse) we’ve finally decided to move to Zulip, joining the Language and Compiler teams. The t-libs stream is now available at https://rust-lang.zulipchat.com/#narrow/stream/219381-t-libs

Feel free to join questions or discussion of the standard library, crates under The Rust Programming Language · GitHub, or project support for the ecosystem.

16 Likes

Hello, Is zulip's threading model the reason why you chose to move to zulip instead of following Mozilla to Matrix?

The compiler and lang teams have been using it for a while, so the everything is already set up.

2 Likes

Personally I kinda like the threading model, but I think more important was reducing the fragmentation between Rust project teams that were already split between IRC, Discord, and Zulip. Adding yet another system to the mix would not help with this aspect. (I know of Matrix bridges, but I don’t know how good they are.)

3 Likes

This is great to hear, welcome to Zulip :slight_smile:

1 Like

If there is somebody on the team that's new with Zulip, and you run into any issues with its UI, please, do make screenshots of what you find weird, and open issues on Zulip upstream: https://github.com/zulip/zulip

They are very responsive and a pleasure to work with. I've done it a couple of times, and they have always fixed things in a matter of days.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.