The most wanted libraries!

My most work is scientific computing and a little bit embeded controler programmings. I am using Python and C++ right now. I do appreciate the safety features talked by Rust community, and realized it is not the only requirement for systems, it is also important in big simulation programs. I don't like to use two languages, if Python don't have that much library for rapid prototyping, I will not use it. Hope Rust got some libraries, and hope these libraries are somehow managed by Rust directing board like python's library.

1. Numerical, linear algebra like Numpy
  2. Science, optimization, like Scipy

Maybe I should stop here, I actually need a geometrical library, especially NURBS or T-Spline, but if the above-listed libraries are available, I may start the job myself.

I come to this Rust camp, because I am looking for some new languages, Julia is dynamic typing, I don't know why, I just don't like dynamic typing, and feel it is not necassary at all.

I felt the reason why python is successful is its library systems. If C++ got so many well managed and maintained libraries, I won't need python, I don't feel using python to write some code to finish a job and then the code is not scalable and not useful anymore is the correct way. I prefer to spend some more time on the programming one thing than doing it twice in different languages.

Maybe I am wrong, I am not a professional programmer.

2 Likes

This forum is for the development of Rust itself. Your post is probably a better fit (after some cleaning up) for users.rust-lang.org, which is the forum for Rust users and people creating things using Rust.

2 Likes

Please do not consider some important libraries as peripherals, you got consider these libraries as Rust itself. Cause these important libraries will determine which door will be open for Rust, which market to take.

Maybe I am wrong, I am not a professional programmer, I chose Python over C++ only because of their libraries. Talking about differences between Python and C++, except syntax and speed, the only thing I can find is the libraries. I guess there are tons of scientists or engineering program developers are at the same level as me.

I am tired of bi-languages, I hope one language could stand up and terminate this. Talking about safety features, I actually don't understand too much, but I chose to believe Rust's strategy.

Rust, You got do this!!!

1 Like

Don't take the suggestion of posting to users.rust-lang.org as saying your post isn't important!

This is definitely an important discussion to have, but one of Rust's core design philosophies is to have most built up functionality that can be external libraries as external libraries, and users.rust-lang.org is the forum meant for discussing that area of development.

Even in Python, for example, you mention NumPy and Scipy - neither of these are built into CPython - they are both external libaries.

For Rust, we have libraries like nalgebra (or even rust-numpy bindings to numpy) as external libraries as well - not part of std or rustc. internals.rust-lang.org is intended as discussion for development of rustc itself and of particularly internal parts of std which interact with it.

Edit: I should say again, users.rust-lang.org is in no way an "inferior" or "less important" version of internals.rust-lang.org. It's almost the opposite - more discussions, and the most important discussion happens in users.rust-lang.org. You're much more likely to get responses and get people who will care about it reading this post on users.rust-lang.org. The only thing it doesn't have is Pre-RFCs for the language itself, and obscure discussions of rustc's features, type system, etc.

They are separate discussion boards because they discuss different topics, not because this is more "core". Sure, maybe core rustc developers read more posts here than on users.rust-lang.org, but those people are the people working on rustc, explicitly not the people who would be writing or looking for discussion on the libraries needed.

11 Likes

Right, thanks! Next time, next time I gonna post this kind to that forum.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.