The impl period
We’re just past the 2/3rds marker on the impl period, and still going strong!
The “impl period” consists of 37 working groups, all helping push our 2017 roadmap to completion. There’s a global Gitter channel (with IRC bridge), and dedicated channels for each working group.
This effort is intended for people with all experience levels and interests — there really is something for everyone, and the WG leads are putting a ton of work into mentoring. If you’re not sure what working group is right for you, drop by the main chatroom and introduce yourself, and we’ll help you find your way!
- Thanks to @chrisvittal, impl Trait in argument position is now available in nightly builds!
- Thanks to @petrochenkov,
::crate::foo paths is now landed on master. Coming to a nightly near you!
- The work on non-lexical lifetimes and the MIR borrowck work continues apace. We are slowly burning down the bugs on our milestone and approaching feature and diagnostic parity with the existing borrow checker. Thanks to @vramana, @zilbuz, @KiChjang, @mikhail-m1, @zackmdavis, @Nashenas88, @spastorino, and @davidtwco for their continued efforts and PRs.
- Performance monitoring will be ready to take in the benchmarks posted to the internals post. A re-implementation of the backend and redesign of the frontend in the future branch of rustc-perf which allows for easier benchmark additions and implements a better UI for interpreting collected data is nearly complete, and is in the bugfix stage. Expect a request for community help in this area in the next couple weeks!
- Thanks to @QuietMisdreavus, rustdoc on nightly can now load in external files for documentation!
- New rustdoc grew support for alternative frontends, moved from error-chain to failure, and moved the testing framework to JMESPath.
Where help is most needed
Issue 45385: permit
foo/mod.rs to support submodules like
@pitdicker for a huge amount of help on design, review, algorithms and optimisations
@burdges for lots of iterator-wrangled designs and other code trickery
@newpavlov for crypto/hash insights and reviews
Covers 29.10.2017 - 24.11.2017.
@cswindle implemented storing tokens for different registries and being able specify a
--registry argument with
cargo search, and
cargo yank! (rust-lang/cargo#4680)
@cswindle implemented rules around which registries a crate may be published to based on its
Cargo.toml and the registry’s settings for allowable registries for dependencies! (rust-lang/cargo#4568)
@GuillaumeGomez landed several improvements to rustdoc search! (#45055, #45673)
@GuillaumeGomez updated the “Pulldown rendering difference” warnings to be displayed even when using the default Hoedown markdown renderer (#45324)
@QuietMisdreavus let rustdoc show when the type returned by a function implements Iterator, Read, or Write (#45039)
@QuietMisdreavus added an option to let rustdoc print the crate version into the docs, and turned it on for the standard library docs (#44989)
@fhartwig hid methods that took self by-value from method listings printed via Deref (#45645)
@federicomenaquintero landed several updates to
fmt's docs, helping close its Standard Library Docs Checklist item! (#44855)
Covers 01.11.2017 - 24.11.2017.