Setting our vision for the 2017 cycle

My own thoughts on this subject mostly center around one goal: getting more people and companies using Rust. I would very much like to see more than Rust 1 or 2 jobs advertised at the bottom of TWiR this time next year, and I would guess that I’m not alone.

Increasing adoption can happen a lot of ways, and I think many (if not most) of those avenues have already been raised here. But why shouldn’t this roadmap include a high-level item for organizing those efforts? “Rust should significantly grow its commercial user base.” ?

Also as I’ve spent time gathering data on Rust progress and infrastructure for the dashboard (although it has admittedly been slow going lately), I’ve seen that there is a significant amount of time spent dealing with testing/CI/release infrastructure. The number of @bors retries always seems rather high to me, as does the number of failed nightlies many months (although this month seems not too bad).

I admit some bias here, but perhaps it is worth focusing organization and efforts to continue improving Rust’s automation and allow stability without stagnation to move forward as quickly as possible? “Rust should increase the stability and utility of its infrastructure and automation.” ?

I think the second of my two thoughts here is harder to rally around (there are only so many people who can twiddle bits on the buildbots, for example), but tools like buildbot, crater, and bors seem to me to be pretty integral to much of the progress which Rust has already made and will continue to make.

EDIT: I should also throw in that from my perspective, better server/service tools are quite possibly the best bet for Rust to achieve greater adoption. It’s undeniable how much software is written these days to serve web or mobile content, not to mention the more bespoke high-performance server environments where Rust could really shine.

8 Likes