Setting our vision for the 2017 cycle

I would like to see a focus on making sure that nightly-only features are either

1. Deemed not useful after experimentation and removed.
  2. Being actively iterated on towards being “done”.
  3. Promoted to the stable channel.

Right now, it seems that there are features that are clearly useful, are not being actively iterated on but, yet, are stuck in a perma-nightly limbo without getting promoted to the stable channel. Examples that come to mind include #bench, access to LLVM intrinsics and inline assembly. The underpinnings of serde also seem clearly useful but stuck on nightly, but it’s less clear to me if they are being actively iterated on. Useful features being in a perma-nightly limbo seems unhealthy.

Of the above, I care the most about access to LLVM intrinsics as a means of generating CPU instructions that are not expressible in safe Rust. Allowing the Rust ecosystem outside the standard library to use unsafe LLVM intrinsics would make it possible to develop safe abstractions in a way that would allow for more experimentation than developing features for the standard library does and in a way that wouldn’t make the standard library into a bottleneck.

Additionally, I think it would be good to get debugging in the case of the MSVC flavor of Rust on Windows on par with Mac and Linux in order to avoid situations where developers of cross-platform software (like Gecko) are shy to use Rust for areas that might have to be debugged on Windows specifically.

Also, as a matter of being competitive with C/C++ in client-side end-user apps that aren’t compiled for particular in-house/cloud server hardware, it would be good to be able to enable instruction set extensions on a per-function basis. (I’m aware that this is blocked on the underlying LLVM feature. Also, this feature wouldn’t be fully useful without access to LLVM intrinsics.)

7 Likes