Rust libz blitz!

Cookbook is actually running low on tasks. I’ll stir up more next week.

Personally I find tracking issues (for versions at least) to be more onerous, and so I assigned all the new issues in reqwest to a ‘v1.0’ milestone instead. The problem with tracking issues is you have to remember to check off issues as they’re closed, and you need to click through to each one to determine if you can check it off. Milestones are automatic.

4 Likes

I would like to suggest HTML parser crates html5ever or its very nice high level wrapper select. Both are sorely in need of documentation. There is already a nice select cookbook example waiting for merge.

Thanks for the suggestion @seanmonstar. I’m open to switching to milestones if that’s what others prefer. One thing we would lose there is a place to write comments about the overall progress, but I don’t know how important that is.

you could always have a ‘tracking issue’ that’s part of the milestone to keep comments and such things? it could link to the milestone rather than to each individual issue in it, and be closed off when the release is made or somesuch

The error-chain evaluation is now under way! Jump on in to help polish this vital crate.

1 Like

I created a cookbook issue for flate2 / tar recipes: https://github.com/brson/rust-cookbook/issues/185

Also for bitflags: https://github.com/brson/rust-cookbook/issues/190

Due to a scheduling conflict I bumped mio to 8/15, and moved gcc up to 7/11.

Since we’re trying to open evaluations one month ahead of time, that means @burntsushi will need to open the gcc thread next week.

walkdir is scheduled for next Tuesday. Everything ready to go @KodrAus? Need any help still?

@brson Yep, everything should be good to go. But any extra input is always appreciated :slight_smile:

I added rayon and mime to on-deck evaluations. rayon is about ready for 1.0, and very popular. mime also gets around a lot and libs team has expressed interest. I demoted env_logger to out-of-band evaluations, as I don’t see the libs team revisiting logging any time soon. I’m still hopeful to get some such evaluations going soon.

The csv crate is also about ready for 1.0, and would be worthy of review. As a @burntsushi crate it’s going to be super high quality. I’m a little iffy about whether it is within the present mandate of this project, though certainly csv is a common format, and is sometimes supported by standard libraries.

RE csv: It’s at 1.0.0-beta.3 right now, which was intentional so that I could still make breaking changes. My plan is to probably get 1.0 out before the end of the year. I agree with your concerns @brson though, but I just wanted to put this out there!

I would like to mention that @kbknapp has started a libz Blitz Style overhaul for clap-rs some time ago :thumbsup:

@brson Were we adding same_file as an out-of-band crate?

I’m happy to kick that off next week, it shouldn’t block walkdir since we’re removing the re-export.

@KodrAus Yes let’s add same_file to out-of-band.

@budziq oh cool, thanks for the heads-up!

I’m just going through and triaging stuff and realized I did not post a status update last week! Sorry about that. I will do two weeks in the next report.

Rust Libz Blitz status update 2017-06-15

Ok, this is an update of the last two weeks.

The big event this time was that @KodrAus finished the walkdir evaluation, and it went really well. He filed a bunch of very well-documented issues that are all still open and want to be closed.

The error-chain evaluation is open too and in need of help completing the guidelines checklist and brainstorming ideas for cookbook recipes. There’s also a fair bit of discussion on that thread about the error-chain design. If you have opinions don’t hesitate to jump in.

Coming up we’ll expect @burntsushi to get the gcc evaluation started soon, and for me to schedule out the next few crates after that.

I also hope to start a push for getting actual 1.0 crates released, and to motivate that with a “1.0 achievements” thread of some kind, where any crate author can post their crate that meets some qualifications to the best of their determination.

It was another really productive week. Thanks to everybody who chipped in!

url

log

reqwest

cookbook

help wanted

1 Like

I updated the evaluation template to reflect the format used in the latest evaluation.

I’ve scheduled rayon for 8/29 cc @nikomatsakis

That leaves 3 more slots for us to fill to fulfill our scheduled 16 crates for the year. I am not sure yet what will happen schedule-wise after that, but probably the focus will be on actually getting those 1.0 version bumps so we have something to show for ourselves at the end of the year. I think though that we will probably maintain some kind of steady schedule. We’ll see.

In the meantime, I’m also looking at more crates for the “out-of-band” crate selection, that is crates we can run evaluations on at any time, but that the libs team is not going to conduct an entire meeting about. I’ll fill out that list a bit, and contact authors to get consent to review their crates.

1 Like

These were rebases of PRs by @AndyGauge and @seanmonstar.

1 Like

cc @cuviper

1 Like