Rust libz blitz!

Ok I’m happy to pick up the walkdir lead. I think it’s a fairly safe crate to get my feet wet, there’s plenty of prior work to look at and @burntsushi is already on board. Should be a walk in the park :wink:

But if you’re looking at the Libs Team peeps to take on these roles that’s no problem :+1:

3 Likes

Thanks a bunch @KodrAus. You are assigned! Please open the thread at your earliest convenience.

1 Like

I added num_cpus to the crate list.

It came to my attention that Packt has a forthcoming book called “Rust Cookbook”. I filed an issue about it.

Done :+1: Doesn’t look like I’ve got permission to make the post a wiki though, could one of the admins please convert it?

Done. The way I did it was to click the "..." at the bottom of the post, then the wrench icon, then "make wiki".

1 Like

Status update 2017-05-27

Here’s what is going on in libz blitz news this week. Contribution opportunities are in bold.

reqwest

walkdir

log

memmap

flate2

Cookbook

API guidelines

Thanks everyone!

2 Likes

Can I suggest glob/globset? I believe globset is the way forward but it would make sense to transition the glob crate to be globset

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion @Keats! Seems like the right kind of crate, though I’m not familiar myself.

So far our crate tracking issues have not had a “Release 1.0” issue actually filed, but I kind of think they should. I might go back and do that and link up the tracking issues. Any opinions?

There’s some question about whether it makes sense to include mio in the cookbook as it is a low level systems-integration piece.

Rust Libz Blitz status update 2017-06-02

Here’s what is going on in libz blitz news this week. Spoiler alert: it was another great week! Thanks everybody.

Upcoming we’ll expect @aturon to open the error-chain evaluation soon. It also looks like we need to get someone on the hook to lead the mio evaluation to get that evaluation started by 6/11.

I’m also interested in getting some of the “out-of-band” evaluations going, crates like idna, net2, unicode-segmentation, env_logger. We can run these exactly as we do the others, but we just won’t schedule a libs team meeting to finalize them. Anybody interested in leading them just speak up. I may pick up one myself next week.

log

reqwest

flate2

Looks like the only remaining blocker is to rename internal types to match public types.

url

No activity this week but there are still issues open.

memmap

Looks like remaining work is blocked on questions about the API.

cookbook

API guidelines

Tasks needing contributors

3 Likes

I posted the tasks needing to twir as well.

Cookbook is actually running low on tasks. I’ll stir up more next week.

Personally I find tracking issues (for versions at least) to be more onerous, and so I assigned all the new issues in reqwest to a ‘v1.0’ milestone instead. The problem with tracking issues is you have to remember to check off issues as they’re closed, and you need to click through to each one to determine if you can check it off. Milestones are automatic.

4 Likes

I would like to suggest HTML parser crates html5ever or its very nice high level wrapper select. Both are sorely in need of documentation. There is already a nice select cookbook example waiting for merge.

Thanks for the suggestion @seanmonstar. I’m open to switching to milestones if that’s what others prefer. One thing we would lose there is a place to write comments about the overall progress, but I don’t know how important that is.

you could always have a ‘tracking issue’ that’s part of the milestone to keep comments and such things? it could link to the milestone rather than to each individual issue in it, and be closed off when the release is made or somesuch

The error-chain evaluation is now under way! Jump on in to help polish this vital crate.

1 Like