The crumminess of the Rust Windows experience is one of our most pressing problems. I’m trying to understand what needs to be done to fix the situation.
Here are the major problems I’m aware of:
- requires mingw install (https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/issues/11782)
- rustup.sh doesn’t install cargo on windows
- .exe installer doesn’t install cargo
- debugging doesn’t work at all
- No Win64 (https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/issues/1237)
- TCB private slot may be misappropriated (https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/issues/13259)
And here are all the issues on the bug tracker: Issues: https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/issues?page=1&q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+label%3AA-windows
If I were to describe today a project to fix the windows experience better it would be “make the installation easy, make debugging work; oh and fix whatever bugs you can”. To those that have worked with Rust on Windows, what else is critical to fix for the sake of the overall experience?