Pre-RFC: Natvis support for Rust

Summary

This RFC aims to improve the debugging experience for Rust developers, by enabling Rust developers to package debugger visualization scripts with their crates.

Motivation

Most, if not all, Rust developers will at some point have to debug an issue in their crate. Trying to view types as they are laid out in memory is not always the most telling. Furthermore when viewing types from external crates, the information is even harder to interpret.

Many languages and debuggers enable developers to control how a type is displayed in a debugger. These are called "debugger visualizations" or "debugger views". Debugger views are merely a convenience for some types, such as Vec<T>, but are essential for types such as HashMap<T>, where non-trivial logic is needed in order to correctly display the contents of a type.

Currently, Rust provides visualizations for a handful of types defined in its standard library via .natvis files or python scripts. However, this support is inflexible; updating it requires modifying the Rust toolchain itself, and either using a local build of the toolchain or waiting for a new upstream build of the toolchain. It is not feasible for developers of ordinary crates to update the Rust toolchain, solely to add visualizations for their crates.

The expected outcome of this RFC is to design a way for developers to seamlessly integrate debugger visualizations with their crates. This would mean:

• Any developer can add debugger visualizations to their crate.
  • If a Rust developer uses a crate that has debugger visualizations in it, then the visualizations of those external crates will "just work" when viewed under a debugger without the need of any manual configuration.
  • Supports existing debugging visualization systems. We do not propose to define a new debugger visualization system; that would be a tremendous undertaking, and would ignore the value of existing systems.
  • No impact on code quality or size.
  • No impact on crates that do not use debugger visualizations.

Guide-level explanation

This RFC explores making Natvis debugger visualizations extensible, in Rust. The scenario that we want to enable is:

• Alice publishes a crate, say, cool_stuff. Alice wrote debugger visualizations for cool_stuff, and included them in the crate.
  • Bob is writing a new Rust application. Deep in the crate dependency graph of Bob's application, some crate uses cool_stuff. (Bob is not even aware of the existence of debugger visualizations.)
  • While Bob is debugging the application, and examining data structures, he comes across an instance of cool_stuff::CoolType in the debugger. Because Rust and the debugger know about the visualizations that Alice wrote, the CoolType value is displayed using its defined debugger view in the debugger. Bob did not need any knowledge, a priori, of how debugger visualizations worked or that Alice had written any debugger visualizations. From Bob's point of view, debugging CoolType "just worked".

An example: The regex crate

To make this less hypothetical, let's consider an important community crate, one which would benefit from debugger visualizations, such as the regex crate. Carol is writing an app that uses regex to scan over large input files. The app code looks something like:

// search for "#define FOO nnn"
fn find_c_defines(input: &str) {
    let rx = Regex::new(r#"^#define\s+(\w+)\s+([0-9]+)\s*(//(.*))?"#).unwrap();
    for captures in rx.captures_iter(input) {
        let my_match: Match = captures.get(1).unwrap();
        do_some_work(my_match.as_str());

}
}

Let's say that Carol is debugging the app, there's a problem in do_some_work(). (Perhaps some code path has triggered a panic.) Carol wants to look at the state of the app, inside the find_c_defines function, and she specifically wants to see what the state of captures is. So she selects the find_c_defines call frame and looks at the local variables window.

Unfortunately, the debugger's view of the captures variable does not give her any useful information at all. It shows only something like:

> Variables
  > captures: {...}
    > text: "...the entire input text..."
    > locs: {...}
      > __0: (4) vec![None, None, None, None]
      > named_groups: (refs:2) size=0, capacity=1
        > [raw]: alloc::sync::Arc<std::collections::hash::map::HashMap<...>>
          > ptr: {pointer:0xNNNNNNNN}
            > pointer: {...}
              > strong: {...}
              > weak: {...}
              > data: size=0, capacity=1
                > base: {...}
                  > hash_builder: {...}

The debugger shows the structure of the data, not its meaning. It is useless. Even the implementor of regex would have a hard time knowing how to decode this. In reality, when trying to understand the state of the captures variable there are several methods defined for a Captures type that paint the actual picture in terms of the information a Rust developer would like to extract from this variable. In order to meaningfully understand what the Captures type is truly trying to tell us, it would be very helpful to visualize this data differently in the debugger.

What we want is something like this:

> Variables:
  > captures: {...}
    > $1: "SOME_CONSTANT"
    > $2: "42"
    > $3: "// some developer comment"

This RFC will describe how to support adding Natvis visualizations which is supported by:

• The Windows Debugger (WinDbg)
  • Visual Studio Debugger.

It should be easy for crate developers to add debugger visualizations to their crates.

Supporting Natvis

This section describes how Microsoft's Natvis is supported in Rust.

To use Natvis, developers write XML documents that describe how debugger types should be displayed. (See: Create custom views of C++ objects - Visual Studio (Windows) | Microsoft Docs) The Natvis XML files provide patterns, which match type names, and for matching types, a description of how to display those types. This allows for some limited support for generic types.

When writing Natvis files for C++, developers write a standalone XML document and add it to their project. The build system (such as Visual Studio) knows how to package the Natvis file into the debug data (the PDB file) for the project, and the debugger knows how to find the Natvis XML in each PDB file.

Developers can add one or more standalone Natvis XML files to their crate. The Cargo.toml file specifies the name of these Natvis files or the Natvis files can be specified via a command line option. This is the easiest way to add Natvis support to a project.

The advantage of a standalone XML document is that this process is already well-understood by many developers. This will help C++ developers move from C++ to Rust. It also avoids any need to modify Rust source code. If a code base uses code generation (such as bindgen or proc-macros), then standalone Natvis XML files would be the only way to provide visualizations for those types.

Standalone Natvis XML files

To provide standalone Natvis XML files, developers create a file with the .natvis file extension. These Natvis files are then specified in the Cargo.toml file via a new key or via the command line using the -Z natvis option.

As an example, consider a crate with this directory structure:

/Cargo.toml
  +-- src
      +-- main.rs
      +-- main.natvis

Where main.rs contains:

/// A rectangle in first quadrant
struct FancyRect {
    x: f32,
    y: f32,
    dx: f32,
    dy: f32,
}

and main.natvis contains:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<AutoVisualizer xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/vstudio/debugger/natvis/2010">
    <Type Name="my_crate::FancyRect">
      <DisplayString>({x},{y}) + ({dx}, {dy})</DisplayString>
      <Expand>
        <Synthetic Name="LowerLeft">
          <DisplayString>({x}, {y})</DisplayString>
        </Synthetic>
        <Synthetic Name="UpperLeft">
          <DisplayString>({x}, {y + dy})</DisplayString>
        </Synthetic>
        <Synthetic Name="UpperRight">
          <DisplayString>({x + dx}, {y + dy})</DisplayString>
        </Synthetic>
        <Synthetic Name="LowerRight">
          <DisplayString>({x + dx}, {y})</DisplayString>
        </Synthetic>
      </Expand>
    </Type>
</AutoVisualizer>

Reference-level explanation

Cargo would add a -Z natvis={comma-separated list of .natvis files} flag, and forward this flag to rustc.

Cargo.toml would add a new syntax for specifying the list of Natvis to be added to the crate. The new manifest key, natvis would be added to the [package] section. This would be in control of setting the -Z natvis flag that would be passed on to rustc.

We would also add a -Z natvis={comma-separated list of .natvis files} flag to rustc, which instructs the compiler to take the set of .natvis files for a given crate and store them in the metadata. When running the linker, using the MSVC toolchain, the /NATVIS linker option would be set and passed the total set of .natvis files from all crate dependencies, if any exist, as well as the current crate and embed them into the pdb. Since the MSVC linker is the only one that supports embedding natvis files into a pdb, this feature would be specific to the MSVC toolchain only.

Drawbacks

One drawback here is that a lot of types implement the Debug trait which already specifies how a type should be viewed when debugging. Implementing this RFC would mean a Rust developer would have to manually specify the Natvis for a type that may already have implemented the Debug trait which would be redundant. Currently, running the Debug trait in the debugger directly is not possible and so a manual definition would be required to have a debugger view.

Rationale and alternatives

This design provides a simple mechanism for cargo to collect the list of .natvis files specified for a given crate and embed them in the resulting pdb. It does not need any manual intervention by a Rust developer who is consuming such a crate to get the debugging experience to work when it is viewed under a debugger that supports the Natvis Framework.

This design does not break any existing usage of cargo or rustc. This new feature would be strictly opt-in. The Natvis syntax may not be familiar to many Rust developers which may lead to a period of learning the syntax. Since this feature would be optional, a consumer of a crate that has natvis definitions for types would not need to go through this learning curve.

Not doing this would keep the existing debugging experience for external Rust crates. Most Rust types, outside of the standard library, do not have any debugger views defined for them by default which makes them difficult to interpret when viewed under a debugger.

Prior art

Many debuggers and languages already address this problem. Some do so in a way that is more flexible than others.

Briefly, we cover some of the known systems for debugger views:

• Microsoft Natvis (Native Visualizers)
  • Microsoft [DebuggerDisplay] in .NET

Microsoft Natvis

Natvis is a framework that customizes how native types appear when viewed under a debugger. The Visual Studio Natvis framework is supported out of the box on the Windows Debugger(WinDBG) and the VS debugger. Natvis files are essentially XML files that use the Natvis syntax to describe how to visualize types to the debugger. This allows users to more easily interpret the data that any given type holds.

Taking a look at the previous Natvis example for the FancyRect type, the resulting debugger view of this would be:

> Variables:
  > fancy_rect: (10, 10) + (5, 5)
    > LowerLeft: (10, 10)
    > UpperLeft: (10, 15)
    > UpperRight: (15, 15)
    > LowerRight: (15, 10)

The MSVC linker supports embedding debugger visualizations defined in a Natvis file (.natvis) into a PDB generated by LINK through the use of the /NATVIS linker flag.

Microsoft [DebuggerDisplay] and ToString() in .NET

The .NET [DebuggerDisplay] attribute controls how objects, properties or fields are to be displayed in the debugger. The [DebuggerDisplay] attribute takes a single argument, the string to be displayed in the debugger. Text within a pair of braces ({``}) is evaluated as a field, property, or method.

If a class has an overridden ToString() method, then the debugger displays the results of the ToString() and a [DebuggerDisplay] attribute is not required. One setback here is that the debugger is unable to display the result of the ToString() when viewing a crash dump.

[DebuggerDisplay("({x},{y}) + ({dx}, {dy})")]
public class FancyRect {
    double x;
    double y;
    double dx;
    double dy;
}

Unresolved questions

Is the [package] section of the Cargo.toml manifest the best place to add this new syntax?

Future possibilities

Inline Natvis XML fragments via an attribute

Natvis support for Rust could be improved upon by adding support for natvis in source via an attribute. Example:

#[dbgvis(
    natvis(r#"
        <Item Name="LowerLeft">({x}, {y})</Item>
        <Item Name="UpperLeft">({x}, {y + dy})</Item>
        <Item Name="UpperRight">({x + dx}, {y + dy})</Item>
        <Item Name="LowerRight">({x + dx}, {y})</Item>
    "#))]
struct FancyRect {
}

Inline Natvis XML fragments via a macro

We may want to allow developers to provide Natvis descriptions using a pseudo macro-call syntax, rather than an attribute. One disadvantage of using attributes is that, lexically, attributes must be specified at the definition of a type. Since Natvis descriptions could be quite large, this would make it hard to read or edit the type definition while also seeing the rustdoc comments.

To solve this, we could define a natvis! macro, and use it like so:

use std::dbgvis::natvis;

struct FancyRect {
}

natvis!(FancyRect, r#"
    <Item Name="LowerLeft">({x}, {y})</Item>
    <Item Name="UpperLeft">({x}, {y + dy})</Item>
    <Item Name="UpperRight">({x + dx}, {y + dy})</Item>
    <Item Name="LowerRight">({x + dx}, {y})</Item>
"#);

The natvis! call would specify the name of the type the visualization applies to, along with the XML fragment. This would give developers the freedom to place visualizations anywhere in their crate, rather than at the definition of each type.

Auto-discover Natvis XML files

We may want to auto-discover Natvis files by searching specific directories for .natvis files. For example, developers create a file with the .natvis file extension, and place it within the dbgvis/natvis subdirectory of their crate. The dbgvis directory is reserved for debugger visualizations, and the natvis subdirectory is reserved for Natvis visualizations. (The name dbgvis was chosen to avoid conflicts with Debug directories created by build systems or IDEs; often, .gitignore files ignore Debug directories.)

Cargo automatically scans for dbgvis/natvis/*.natvis files. This behavior can be overridden by specifying manifest keys.

References

6 Likes

This seems very MSVC-specific. Do other debuggers (say, gdb) have similar files? If so, is there a way that this could be done that would let the same flag(s) cover both?

(I definitely support the general idea of making these easier to use.)

8 Likes

GDB:

https://sourceware.org/gdb/onlinedocs/gdb/Pretty_002dPrinter-Introduction.html#Pretty_002dPrinter-Introduction

https://sourceware.org/gdb/onlinedocs/gdb/Auto_002dloading-extensions.html#Auto_002dloading-extensions

(TL;DR GDB extensions, including pretty printers, can be embedded in the ELF)

3 Likes

Yes, we have scripts for gdb and lldb in src/etc and for gdb we create a section that references the pretty printers here.

2 Likes

I believe it would be better to keep this RFC more targeted to MSVC/Windows. MSVC embeds the natvis files into the PDB that is generated, not the dll or exe, via a linker option. There is no need to alter the binary or add any sections. In order to achieve a similar behavior for gdb, rustc would need to insert sections that reference these python scripts directly into the binary being built and have them loaded by gdb which I don't think would be too safe as a general feature.

I think that it is most logical to create a separately shipped GDB plugin, embed only natvis XML or something else interpretable by that plugin and have instruction on how to use that plugin (optionally, how to create build script which will embed plugin into a generated ELF if developer thinks this is a good idea).

It would be better to use less verbose DSL (like DebuggerDisplay example) though from which three things will be generated:

1. Natvis XML unless disabled (enabled when debug symbols generation is enabled on Windows).
  2. Data for aforementioned plugin unless disabled (enabled when debug symbols generation is enabled when generating ELFs).
  3. Optionally, Debug implementation.
1 Like

Creating a separately shipped GDB plugin to be able to parse a natvis file and create a pretty printer that GDB can load is not in scope for this RFC. I believe that will only hinder the community acceptance of this RFC since GDB already has its own format for visualizing types, a pretty printer. That may be better suited for another RFC but I don't think it should be tied into this one which is why I made this RFC MSVC specific. But thanks for the idea :slight_smile:.

This is more of a curiosity than anything, but do natvis files allow "correcting" the C(++) types shown in debuggers to the actual Rust one? I’m thinking about int to i32 or int* to *mut i32 conversions

2 Likes

I don't believe so but I'd be happy to be proven wrong :slight_smile:

DebuggerTypeProxy maybe?

This is more of a curiosity than anything, but do natvis files allow "correcting" the C(++) types shown in debuggers to the actual Rust one? I’m thinking about int to i32 or int* to *mut i32 conversions

For your initial question, I don't believe this can be done via Natvis. @wesleywiser can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that when targeting MSVC, Rust primitive types such as i32 are emitted as MSVC style names when generating the debuginfo, for example i32 to int. Thus Natvis wouldn't change the actual types just the representation of these types.

This has also been published as an RFC if anyone would like to track this. New Cargo and Rust options to support embedding Natvis into a PDB by ridwanabdillahi · Pull Request #3191 · rust-lang/rfcs (github.com)

I believe that's only supported in managed code (ie: the CLR/dotnet runtime).