Hints about primitive and standard type's functions implemented in another crates in std docs

There are pros and cons of itertools (and other helper crates that adds more features to standard and primitive types) of being included in std.

But can there be a middle ground between “on board - in std” and “thrown away into ocean of crates.io”? Maybe documentation can contain explicit names of functions like interleave? The content may suggest varied level of endorsement:

• [minimal] Explicit statement that there is no interleave function for Iterator. So user could stop searching the page again trying to fix a typo in search query or try synonyms or some.
  • [small] Advice to search the interleave function somewhere on crates.io.
  • [normal] Advice to use itertools
  • [maximal] Short doc snippet of itertools's interleave with the statement that this function is stable, verified by libstd’s developers and is encouraged to be used.

It’s no joy trying to find a function and not being sure if I am searching wrong or there is just no such thing. Things that are typically searched for may have explicit “landing pads” that terminates the search.

This way a feature that is not in std may still have exposure as if it were in std.

I’m assuming that this is not specific to itertools but is general to other crates as well.

For the searchability part, I think a good search-via-type/function-name mechanism that is cross-crate on docs.rs, similar to what is provided by hayoo and hoogle would be very helpful.

In the far future, RLS could perhaps start searching the ecosystem for a function with the name you are looking for. And rustc could do the same in error-fixing-suggestions if enabled. Tho perhaps this is going too far.

Other than that, a uniform redirection+blessing-approach sounds nice, how about?:

trait Iterator {
    #![search_advice(does_not_exist, interleave)]

#![search_advice(on_crates_io, interleave)]

#![search_advice(in_crate, itertools::Itertools::interleave,
        https://docs.rs/itertools/0.7.4/itertools/trait.Itertools.html#method.interleave)]

#![search_advice(in_crate, itertools::Itertools::interleave,
        https://docs.rs/itertools/0.7.4/itertools/trait.Itertools.html#method.interleave,
        Some random comment on why this is stable, great and verified)]
}