Documentation generation for (not on) Windows

What does one do about issues such as this one? This looks like a build infrastructure issue, but I honestly know too little about how docs are built to know if there's something I need to do in the crate to make Windows doc generations work.

As suggested by docs.rs, I added metadata to limit doc generation to Windows platforms (it's a Windows-specific crate):

[package.metadata.docs.rs]
default-target = "x86_64-pc-windows-msvc"
targets = ["x86_64-pc-windows-msvc", "i686-pc-windows-msvc"]

.. but this didn't help (I had no reason to believe it would since the issue is that it kind find standard Windows libraries, but clearly that metadata belongs there nonetheless).

Is there a more specific forum for asking about failed doc generation, or am I asking this in the right place?

Also, if such an issue is resolved, is it up to me as a crate owner to trigger a docs.rs regeneration? If so, how do I do that?

Some other avenues for docs.rs issues is to file an issue at Issues · rust-lang/docs.rs · GitHub or the #docs-rs channel on Discord.

In this case, I believe you are hitting Cannot cross-compile to windows if using C compiler in build script · Issue #796 · rust-lang/docs.rs · GitHub where a build script is trying to build something for Windows, but docs.rs runs on Linux.

1 Like