Cross-posted from Reddit and slightly expanded:
I love the new Keywords section that has been added to the docs. It makes it easy to reference or discover the most common constructs you might find in someone’s code.
In addition to these keywords there are also a number of symbols / sigils specific to Rust (its more than ‘sigils’, but ‘symbols’ might have other connotations). Since they are often “less speaking” and harder to google, I was wondering if it made sense to document the most common ones as well in the same place.
Here is what I was thinking:
I did a quick search in the Rust issue tracker but didn’t find anything related to that (except the issue about adding Keywords).
- Has this been discussed, and do people feel there is a need for that?
- Is this the right forum to have a discussion for that?
- If I’m willing to put time into this, what would be the next thing to do?
Edit: To clarify the last point a bit more, here are the steps I think need to happen:
- There needs to be general buy-in that this should be part of the docs
#[doc(sigil = "...")](or similar) attribute needs to be created
- The scope and list of items will have to be discussed
- Actual writing and QA
However, my question is rather, what is the right order? Is this an RFC thing? Start with an actual outline of items intended and bounce them? “Just do it”?