Using traits to share implementations

Currently we have this (blob reference, master is here) which contains an example of trait use to share implementations.

trait Printable {
    // Default method implementation
    fn print(&self) { println!("{:?}", *self) }
}

impl Printable for int {}

impl Printable for String {
    fn print(&self) { println!("{}", *self) }
}

impl Printable for bool {}

impl Printable for f32 {}

The example defines a trait Printable, which prints things using `"{:?}" so it works on multiple types. AFAIK this is discouraged generally, and one thing that we could use is an example of reuse that doesn’t use type wildcards in a print statement, but ideally something a bit more idiomatic. Can we come up with a better implementation than print wildcards, or perhaps just find a reference implementation where this is useful in practice?

Besides that, there are a few questions to answer with respect to sharing implementation with traits that I’d like to see discussion about.

When is using traits to share implementations a good idea?

Presumably this is useful for part of the reason that inheritance in object-oriented design is useful: you can write the same code once, reuse it many times, and override it if necessary. Anything else?

When is this a bad idea?

A comment in the guidelines suggests discouraging this in a way that is publicly exposed, but this is marked [OPEN] so it could probably use more discussion.

I figure this is related to principles of information hiding: the user of some code shouldn’t have to care about how it’s implemented or whether I change it later to a custom implementation.

With respect to defining “publicly exposed”, I can think of two ways that this could be “public”:

• The caller/user of your code somehow knows that you used a trait to share the implementation of something.
  • You have declared the trait pub, so the user may use the default implementation themselves.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.