As part of the new and improved Tools team, we want to hear from users and tool-makers alike about things that you find lacking or suboptimal in the Rust tooling space.
This could either be things that tools exist for, but aren’t yet fully solved, or where tools are missing entirely.
Depending on the feedback to this post we might decide to also run a more official survey, focusing on details about what can be improved.
In order to make the responses easier to parse, analyse, and structure, please try to stick to a common form in your feedback.
- What area of tooling is affected?
- Is there a tool for this already?
- If so: which one?
- If not: did you write one?
- If not: which tool do you think it should be included in?
- Did you manage to work around the lack of tooling?
Edit as a small reminder though, this shouldn’t include all feedback about all tooling that is generic to Rust (like the compiler). There’s always gonna be things that can be improved on rustc (i.e. compile times) that aren’t immediately relevant for the Tools Team!
- Debugging: please check the previous comments if your points have already been raised
rustup: producing nightly versions that contain all tools reliably