Thoughts on a free `cmp` function

TLDR: I'd like a function in std like cmp(a, b) that calls a.cmp(b).

Recently, std::iter::zip was added for better readability/formatting when using iterators that are the result of lots of function calls. For example:

let a = vec![1, 2, 3].into_iter();
let b = vec![1, 2, 3].into_iter();

let zipped = a
    .map(|i| i * 2)
    .filter(|i| i % 3 == 0)
    .zip(b.map(|i| i * 2).filter(|i| i % 3 == 0));

// compared to

zip(
    a.map(|i| i * 2).filter(|i| i % 3 == 0),
    b.map(|i| i * 2).filter(|i| i % 3 == 0),
)

Recently I found myself sorting a lot of slices using .sort_by(), and this lead to a pretty similar situation with code like:

items.sort_by(|a, b| {
    a.config
        .properties
        .some_value
        .cmp(&b.config.properties.some_value)
});

However, with this cmp function I was able to get similar readability improvements as with zip.

fn cmp<T>(a: &T, b: &T) -> Ordering where T: Ord {
    a.cmp(b)
}

items.sort_by(|a, b| {
    cmp(
        &a.config.properties.some_value,
        &b.config.properties.some_value,
    )
})

There's probably scope for an equivalent for partial_cmp, though I suspect the "symmetry" benefits are less obvious if the two arguments might have different types :person_shrugging:

I'd be keen to see this in the standard library, and if other people also think it would be a good addition I'd be happy to open a PR for it. But of course if there are reasons why such a function isn't needed, or doesn't belong in std, I'd be more than happy to hear them too.

3 Likes

It's worth mentioning that you can approximate this by calling Ord::cmp:

use std::cmp::Ord;

items.sort_by(|a, b| {
    Ord::cmp(
    )
})

But you can't do use std::cmp::Ord::cmp, so there could still be an argument made for having a free function that does this.

13 Likes

Maybe this should be allowed?

10 Likes

Ord is in the prelude, so you normally don't need to import it. But if you must use the path, you can write the call in full: <_ as std::cmp::Ord>::cmp

I feel like there was an RFC to use methods, but I can't find it now...

edit: found an issue: rust-lang/rfcs#1995

6 Likes
items.sort_by(|a, b| {
    cmp(
    )
})

What others said about Ord::cmp; also if your use case is literally like this where you're just doing a map/projection and calling cmp, the sort_by_key method is a perfect fit and saves you from potential copypaste bugs:

items.sort_by_key(|a| a.config.properties.some_value)

(although there's the problem that you can't return by reference from the key function due to lifetime issues :frowning: )

4 Likes

As Jules-Bertholet said, I'd love to see a proposal to allow this. This isn't the only kind of thing where it'd be nice -- https://doc.rust-lang.org/nightly/std/default/fn.default.html is another thing that should just be use Default::default; instead of needing a function.

There are some issues to work through, but I think many of them are the same as already exist for things like use Result::Ok;, so hopefully wouldn't be too bad.

(zip is a bit different here, since iter::zip takes IntoIterator on both sides, and thus zip([1, 2, 3], 10..) works even though [1, 2, 3].zip(10..) doesn't.)

14 Likes

I think for now, it's definitely easier to just stick to using Ord::cmp(), sort_by_key IIRC doesn't work well for String (I remember running into lifetime issues a while ago and stumbled upon an issue that said it would need GATs to work with non-Copy types, but I might me misremembering).

Thanks for the suggestions :slight_smile:

Is there any progress made on this RFC? It seems that it would keep modules clean from free functions like default() which just internally calls some other function.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.