Apologies for the late report! Things have been a bit hectic with the Mozilla work week and holiday this week. Also, there is no Lang or Compiler report this week due to the team leader being away. Should be more to report next week!
This past week the Rust team was at the Mozilla Work Week where a number of
meaty tooling-related topics were discussed including cross compilation,
distribution of artiacts, online installers, and
cargo install. Keep your eyes
peeled for a
cargo install RFC coming soon!
Otherwise this past week there were a number of exciting changes to Cargo made:
- A --quiet flag was added to all subcommands
- Command output is now escaped for a shell
- MSVC nightlies are now available
In other news we now have combined Rust/Cargo installers for MSVC 64 bit Windows being built on a nightly basis now! The URLs are:
If you’re interested in checking out the MSVC support of the compiler, please take these for a spin and report any bugs! Keep in mind that unwinding is not yet turned on (so destructors on panics won’t run), but everything else should be basically working (modulo small bugs).
We missed last week due to the Mozilla work week. Here’s the current status.
RFCs going into their final comment period:
- FCP PR #1055: RFC for redirecting stdio of child processes to open file handles
- FCP PR #1058: RFC for replacing slice::tail()/init() with new methods
- FCP PR #1102: Rename connect to join
- FCP PR #1158: RFC: Expand the std::net module
Decisions from last week:
FCP PR #980:
RFC for read_all
- Go back to discussion, given changes during FCP.
- FCP PR #1015: Add read_into_buf and get_buf to BufRead
FCP PR #1102:
Rename connect to join
- Keep open for another round of comments after consensus failure.
- FCP PR #1130: Implement FromIterator for the unit type
FCP PR #1152:
Add some of
[T]’s methods to strings and vice versa
- FCP PR #26241: Implement DerefMut for String