Rust release milestone predictions

@Aaronepower responses below. A lot of this involves getting info from the respective authors. Don’t hesitate to ping authors on issues to prod them to do things.

The OP of this thread is a wiki. You should be able to just edit it.

The main thing this PR did is eliminate runtime frames from stack traces by default. That aspect of the PR specifically was reverted for 1.17, and restored for 1.18, aiui. I don’t know the PRs that did it though. The original author will know. cc @Yamakaky

There has actually been a great deal of activity, even if it isn’t represented on thread. @michaelwoerister will know the status and have an idea of what timeframe it will land.

@jseyfried will know. I asked for status updates on thread. Seems like it won’t make it for 1.18 if it isn’t turned on by now.

I pinged @josh on thread to see if we can get somebody moving on this for 1.19.

Thanks @Aaronepower. Can you see if you can edit the op to punt these items to 1.19 as appropriate?

I pinged the libs team about 1.18 lib stabilizations.

@leodasvacas I added it to 1.19, pinged the lang team on thread, and nominated the issue for discussion to start the fcp process. Thanks for the heads up.

Just so I’m clear, “reverted for 1.17” means it was in 1.17, but pulled back out?

The last PR is

Yes, that’s correct.

Thanks @Yamakaky

I added rustup xz compression to 1.19 cc @ranma42.

@Aaronepower if you haven’t yet, and if you are satisfied with your patch, do you mind submitting the 1.18 relnotes as a PR, then dropping a link in #rust-internals asking for review?

I did a thorough update of the predictions, bumped lots of stuff, added lots of stuff.

AFAIK all of the changes required for XZ compression have landed. Is there a release schedule for rustup?

Bumped RLS to 1.20

@ranma42 Oh awesome. The release schedule is just whenever I circle back to it. I will try to get a build out soon.

Moved “Macro use and re-export” to horizon, as this comment indicates that the change is postponed until Macros 2.0 are readier as a whole.

Thanks @GolDDranks!

I also bumped android host builds, up-to-date reference, cargo 1.0, and AVR to horizon.

I also bumped incremental to horizon.

When are “slice_patterns” going to be stable?

@leonardo I don’t see any indication on the tracker that they are approaching stability, but there is still activity. I did at it to ‘horizon’ since it is at least still moving. If you are motivated you might harass people there to get it moving.

Well, it’s already time again that we start preparing release notes for 1.19. @Aaronepower are you interested in doing it again? I know it was a bit of a slog last time…

We also need to reevaluate the predictions. I think after doing a thorough review of the predictions I want to post some kind of “What’s coming up in Rust” update to urlo, and in it give recommendations about how people can help move their favorite features forward. Sometimes it just takes someone to pester the right people to get a feature moving.

Yes I am. I actually enjoyed doing it!

I’ve done up a preliminary version.