So @eddyb has argued that we should use
RUSTC_LOG to control the log messages for rustc. Basically because if you do
RUST_LOG=info cargo run you probably don’t mean to dump the compiler’s internal state. This makes sense to me. But I thought it made sense to float this decision in public before we actually do it.
There are some related questions:
- how committed are we to the current log output for stability?
- imo, anything less than “we make zero guarantees” is not an option
- but I could imagine changing that policy, converting all existing logs to debug, and then adding things back in carefully
- is it ok if
- i.e., should we consider such an ICE a “regression”?
- traditionally it has ICEd in some scenarios, but it’d certainly be nice if it didn’t!