[Resolved] Type constraint dispatch?

So I am new to Rust, and that's going to show pretty quickly here. But I realized, what I feel to be, an important area for improvement in the language for scientific/numerical computing.

Consider that a developer wants to support low and high precision floats for a library. They will use num_traits and constrain by Float. This is great and works really well.

impl<S: Float> CustomCollection<S>{
    fn something(&self) -> Thing<S> {...}
}

Great.

Now, let's say the dev. has to do something obvious... Like divide two items by the constant number 2.0... Unfortunately we cannot cast generics, even if they are constant so, what might that look like?

impl CustomCollection<f64>{
    fn avgsomething(&self) -> Thing<f64> {return (&self.a + &self.b / 2.0_f64);}
}
impl CustomCollection<f32>{
    fn avgsomething(&self) -> Thing<f32> {return (&self.a + &self.b / 2.0_f32);}
}

Let's assume half of the functions for this trait can be used generically and the other half require this abstraction... As the user produces their code, many users now want, I dunno float 16s for example. So they are now copy pasting code until they decide to use codegen/macros... Kind of inconvenient, maybe a symptom that there could be some sugar to help out?

What if instead we have a syntax that looked like this :slight_smile: :

impl<S: Float> CustomCollection<S>{
    fn something(&self) -> Thing<S> {...}
    fn avgsomething(&self) -> Thing<S is f32> {return (&self.a + &self.b / 2.0_f32);}
    fn avgsomething(&self) -> Thing<S is f64> {return (&self.a + &self.b / 2.0_f64);}
}

It would make the workflow of handling generics interacting with constants less laborious, and all it does is... Dispatches a new impl...

Surely there are a dozen alternatives here, but these types of hiccups make Rust code for numerical applications(and likely some others) a little more challenging to maintain then maybe it has to be?

I feel like you might be thinking that S: Float means that S is either f64 or f32. This is not true. Third-party crates or you yourself can define their own types that implement the Float trait. For example, from the ordered-float crate the OrderedFloat wrapper implements Float, so that e.g. OrderedFloat<f32> and OrderedFloat<f64> are viable substitutions for S in a function generic over S: Float.

Edit: On another read, it seems like you do acknowledge the possibility for other types implementing Float. In this case I don’t really understand what exactly your proposal is here... Is this just about writing the word impl and the type’s name a bit less often and saving a few braces?

Regarding your example of casting a constant,

while casts with e.g. as may not be possible, the Float trait does come with it’s own conversion methods due to the NumCast supertrait, e.g.

use num::Float;

pub struct CustomCollection<S> {
    a: S,
    b: S,
}

pub type Thing<S> = S;

impl<S: Float> CustomCollection<S> {
    pub fn avgsomething(&self) -> Thing<S> {
        // let’s put some parentheses around `self.a + self.b`...
        (self.a + self.b) / S::from(2.0).unwrap()
    }
}
1 Like

I believe your suggestion at the end here solves the root cause of the problem which led to the suggestion. Meaning, I no longer think the suggestion is worth entertaining. Thank you!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.