Following the previous evidence that rust loves sea creature (see Ferris the crab, and turbofish), we should continue this theme and name this operator with another of this kind. Afterall, we know that salty water makes metals rust faster (pun intended).
From squeal + eel. Here a picture to depict this operator
- It resembles question mark (see picture above), just like
- It’s a sea creature. From wikipedia:
Most eels live in the shallow waters of the ocean and burrow into sand, mud, or amongst rocks.
- Good at jumping around when you catch it, related to the early return behaviour of
- Squeal, verb, make a long, high-pitched cry or noise.. Related to the returning error behaviour, probably
- The operator itself makes your code look slick.
What do you think?
Edit: credit to the people at #rust-offtopic, this idea was taken from the discussion there