Production user research summary

As a potential future Rust indie game developper I have encountered lots of problem with Rust that nobody raised here. Off the top of my head:

• When I profile my game the SipHasher is always in the top 3 of the functions that eat the most CPU. Saying that it consumes a lot of CPU would be an understatement. It consumes a ton of CPU.
  • Lack of write-only slices (my frames per second would increase by around 50% if I was ok with passing around slices that cause segfaults if you read from them).
  • Lack of clean and easy JSON handling. Some tasks require you to be format-specific and can’t be done with a generic deserialization system.
  • Poor handling of unsized types (I have had to write this kind of code for example).
  • Really a lot of missing libraries. Not just two or three bindings to C libraries, but the whole ecosystem. In fact I have spent most of my time on this problem for the moment (glutin, glium, hlua, cpal, spine-rs, android-rs-glue, and some others).

Since I’m alone, do this on my spare time, and don’t raise any money from it, I don’t have enough weight to be in these meetings (it’s not a complaint, I don’t have any problem with this).

However in my opinion it’s a vicious circle. When evaluating Rust, gamedevers are probably going to notice a lot of these problems and stay away from it. And consequently you won’t find any gamedev production user that will tell you what’s missing from Rust.

11 Likes