Pre-RFC: Extending where clauses with limited formal verification

Summary

Where clauses occupy a unique position in function signatures and type definitions. They read naturally and clearly, and are easily extensible without hindering habitability. I propose extending where clauses with boolean expressions, enabling a limited subset of formal verification through an SMT solver.

For a minimum representative example, a signature like this:

fn set_flag(&mut self, index: u8) -> Result<(), OutOfBoundsError>;

Could be refactored as:

fn set_flag(&mut self, index: u8) where index < 16;

This new signature would preclude the need for error handling, as all calls to the function would be statically guaranteed to uphold the invariant on the index parameter.

Through the proposal, I'll attempt to address the semantics of these extended clauses, possible approaches to deal with the obvious limitations (decidability, compilation time, learning burden) and present an argument for the value of even a minimal implementation of this feature.

Limitations of this Pre-RFC

My background is not on type theory or compilers, but rather in high reliability embedded programming. This means my grasp on the theoretical foundations of what I'm proposing, as well as the details of satisfiability modulo theories, are tenuous at best. I also understand that this proposal is not something new, variations of it have come up with more or less formality from the Rust community, and I don't claim to bring anything ground breaking to the conversation. If anything, I welcome the discussion on this document as a way to learn and broaden my understanding of the problem.

The perspective I'm bringing is mostly concerned with usability, habitability, immediate impact on producing readable and safe code, and mitigation of issues that have come up in past discussions such as compile times, decidability and syntax clarity.

Motivation

To explore the feature, let's use a simplified API to a fixed-frequency pulse-width modulation driver as a motivating example:

pub const NUMBER_OF_PINS: usize = 8;

pub enum PwmError {
    PinOutOfRange,
    DutyCycleOutOfRange,
    PinIsEnabled,
    PinIsDisabled,
}

pub struct Pwm;

impl Pwm {
    pub fn new(pin: usize) -> Result<Self, PwmError>;
    pub fn set_duty_cycle(&mut self, value: u8) -> Result<(), PwmError>;
    pub fn enable(&mut self) -> Result<(), PwmError>;
    pub fn disable(&mut self) -> Result<(), PwmError>;
    pub fn is_enabled(&self) -> bool;
}

While it's simple and it gets the job done, the API above is a bit naive and has a few problems:

• It's unclear at first glance what functions return which error variants. Will set_duty_cycle work on a disabled pin, as a pre-load of the value prior to the pin being enabled? (This would make sense if PinIsDisabled is meant to be emitted by fn disable).
  • What are the limits of the value parameter? Domain knowledge tells us it's likely 100, but it's not conveyed by the code.
  • While the NUMBER_OF_PINS constant is pretty obviously meant to limit the pin argument to new, there's nothing in the interface that enforces this relationship. In more complex modules, the relationship may not be as clear, and would require delving into the source.
  • It's possible to call functions in invalid states, regardless of our interpretation of the API (either it's incorrect to call set_duty_cycle on a disabled pin, or it's incorrect to call disable on a disabled pin, or both, as we infer from the last variant of the error enum).
  • All error cases must be handled on all function calls. While Rust offers powerful tools to simplify this, it's conceptually unnecessary. Additionally when interfacing with an external library, it's likely that some form of error conversion will take place, which is a maintenance burden and sometimes troublesome in no_std environments.
  • It's subject to the "mutate-then-fail" bug. A faulty implementation could be:
    pub fn set_duty_cycle(&mut self, value: u8) {
       self.inner_write_to_PWM_register(value);

if value >= 100 {
           return Err(PwmError::DutyCycleOutOfRange);
       }
       // ...
    }

This kind of bug can take a while to manifest since it lies in the error path, which is normally taken less often.

In current Rust, there are certainly tools to approach all the problems above. Comments can help clarify which errors to expect where, and parameter ranges. The problem of invalid states can be solved with typestate programming. Mutate-then-fail can be spotted through code review and library inspection. However, these solutions have their own drawbacks. Comments drift out of date. Typestates, though easy in Rust, still carry a syntactic burden and are tough to grasp for beginners. Adding a new error to the enum causes churn as all call sites to the API require an update.

Through this proposal, all of the issues above can be solved with a net improvement in readability:

pub struct Pwm;

impl Pwm {
   pub fn new(pin: usize) where pin < NUMBER_OF_PINS;
   pub fn set_duty_cycle(&mut self, value: u8) where value <= 100 && self.is_enabled();
   pub fn enable(&mut self)
   pub fn disable(&mut self);
}
  • The uncertainty about error returns disappears as error handling is eliminated altogether.

• Valid state transitions are made obvious. With this API, it is clearly valid to call enable and disable twice, where set_duty_cycle expects an enabled pin. All valid transitions are enforced without the syntactic burden of typestates.

• The "mutate-then-fail" bug is statically prevented as the function pre-conditions are encoded in the function signature. This means that any execution of the function is guaranteed to occur through the correct path (or panic).

• The call site is significantly simplified, even in the case of a very basic SMT solver implementation (See "Value of a limited implementation" later). Assuming for the sake of illustration that the SMT solver is capable of verifying all preconditions in this case, a call site like this:

match pwm.set_duty_cycle(some_percent_value) {
          PwmError::DutyCycleOutOfRange => {
             log!("Duty cycle out of range.");
             return Err(MyDomainError::SomeVariant);
          },
          _ => panic!("Unexpected PWM error"),
       }

Would become as simple as this:

pwm.set_duty_cycle(some_percent_value);

I'll later explore the situation where the SMT solver is incapable of guaranteeing the preconditions, and see that the revised API is not only usable, but ergonomic even in the limited case.

Generally, I think it's hard to overstate the readability benefits. Where clauses have a very natural grammar that maps well to a plain English reading of the function signature, so their meaning is easy to grasp even for beginners, arguably more so than the generic Result alternative. Later in this proposal, I'll make an argument against expanding the feature with more advanced constructs such as the model keyword for postconditions and explicit theories, since I believe it's difficult to find a syntax for them that is as immediately intuitive as the boolean where clause.

Semantics

Boolean expressions containing only calls to pure functions may appear in place of normal trait-bound where clauses. Multiple expressions can be separated by commas (same as trait bound where clauses) or chained by boolean operators. These expressions will be fed to an SMT solver as a final compilation step. Compilation will be aborted if any expression is falsifiable at any point of evaluation.

Each expression would manifest after compilation as a separate progress bar for each point of evaluation (see mockup below). Namely, a line would be printed per each:

• Call to a function with a boolean where clause.
  • Construction of a type with a boolean where clause.
  • Mutation of a variable when the mutated field is reflected in a boolean where clause.

This is a one-to-many correspondence, so a single boolean where clause could result in multiple lines of compiler output. This achieves two goals:

• It provides an intuitive visual for the compilation time spent by the SMT solver.
  • It allows the developer to quickly identify the evaluation points that are taking longer to prove, allowing easy insertion of a runtime check (e.g. assert) and highlighting code smells.

Communicating failure correctly is an important aspect of a feature with advanced theoretical grounds. While it would be useful to offer detailed error messages that spell out the specific reason for failure (undecidable for X reason, falsifiable in Y case), as a first approach I propose something like:

Error: could not prove 'index < 16' (pwm.rs:53) at location main.rs:44.
Consider adding a runtime check at main.rs:44, e.g 'assert!(index < 16)'

An error message like this achieves two goals:

• Offers an immediate solution to the compilation error that is universally applicable, even for a very limited SMT solver (adding an assertion with the explicit boolean expression trivializes the proof, without need for any syntactic unification).
  • Takes beginners and developers unfamiliar with the feature immediately into their comfort zone, as the meaning of assert is widely understood. The assert can then be easily refactored away into non-panicking flow control that just branches away if the condition isn't satisfied.

I believe offering this escape hatch is more immediately valuable than offering a detailed explanation why the predicate could not be satisfied, though as the tool evolves, such explanations would likely prove valuable too. In particular, offering this escape hatch would reduce friction with library interfaces; an inexperienced user wouldn't have to worry about incorporating a crate that makes use of boolean where clauses in the API, as there's an easy way to defer the predicates to runtime.

Impact on compilation times

Regardless of the complexity of the SMT solver chosen or developed to implement this feature, compile times would suffer for any application that makes liberal use of it. This could become a big drawback in case boolean where clauses become ubiquitous in library code. I propose two tools to combat this issue:

• An optional compilation flag, named something like runtime_proofs, assert_at_predicates, or any obvious enough variation. This compilation flag would automatically insert runtime assertions at the evaluation point of every predicate. Enabling it would trivialize all the proofs and eliminate the impact on compilation time. The flag would allow workflows where iteration on the debug build happens with all proofs deferred to runtime, with only nightly or CI builds evaluating them at compile time, without having any impact on the source code.
  • The combination of the assert suggestion error message, with a limited, gradual and conservative SMT solver implementation that only incorporates decidable theories or theories that can be treated in a practical amount of time.

Value of a limited implementation

A common point of discussion in on this topic is how valuable this feature would be, provided that it's built on top of a limited SMT solver. It's an important discussion because no matter how advanced, SMT solvers are inevitably limited, and entire categories of boolean expressions will be undecidable or impractically slow. Therefore, for this feature to be attractive to implement, It would need to guarantee two points:

• It's immediately useful even with a minimal, severely limited SMT solver.
  • It can be incrementally expanded without any breakage.

To explore the first point, I propose a thought experiment where this feature is implemented on top of DumbSMT, a comically simple, fictional SMT solver that can only verify predicates at evaluation points that either:

• Are fully evaluable at compile time (constexpr).
  • Are preceded by a branch with the exact, explicit predicate expression as a condition.

So, under DumbSMT, the following examples would compile:

let pin = 8;
let pwm = Pwm::new(pin); // Compiles (constexpr)
let pin = runtime_variable;
if !(pin < NUMBER_OF_PINS) { return; }
let pwm = Pwm::new(pin); // Compiles (preceded by branch on explicit predicate)
assert!(pin < NUMBER_OF_PINS);
let pwm = Pwm::new(pin); // Compiles (preceded by branch on explicit predicate)

But these would not:

if !(pin < NUMBER_OF_PINS) { pin = 0; };
let pwm = Pwm::new(pin); // Error! Not branching away
if pin >= 16 { return; };
let pwm = Pwm::new(pin); // Error! Branch condition is not the *exact, explicit* predicate.

A first observation is that, on many codebases, a surprisingly large amount of conditions will be evaluable at compile time. This is particularly the case for embedded software, where many of these small-integer bounds trace back to const definitions of pins, registers, and other compile-time knowledge extracted from a datasheet. This alone allows cleaning a lot of clutter from function signatures at no clarity expense at the call site.

For every other situation, the limitations of DumbSMT don't actually incur a habitability cost either. At worst, what used to be error handling:

pub fn foo(pin: u8) -> Result<(), MyError> {
   let pwm = Pwm::new(pin).map_err(|_| MyError::DriverError)?;
   //...
}

Becomes explicit branching:

fn foo(pin: u8) -> Result<(), MyError> {
   if !(pin < NUMBER_OF_PINS) {
      return MyError::DriverError;
   }
   let pwm = Pwm::new(pin);
   //...
}

As for runtime cost, it's likely that the bounds check above would've been done as a first step into Pwm::new(), so there's no loss of performance there either.

While the readability of the two code blocks above will come down to a matter of taste, it's in the same ballpark, and even with these exaggerated restrictions we're already able to opt into the benefits of the Pwm API shown at the start of the proposal. In reality, even a barebones SMT solver would be significantly more capable than DumbSMT, which would remove the need for the stilted flow control. Just being able to handle integer arithmetic and basic syntactic unification would unlock a very expressive range of predicates.

The bottom line is that the boolean where clause is valuable even for predicates that the SMT has no hope to ever prove. Library interfaces with such predicates would be perfectly usable by branching on these conditions or on simple syntactic transformations of them. The only case where a boolean where clause should be rejected at the point of definition (as opposed to evaluation) is when it involves calls to impure functions or any side effects.

Why not go further?

Other languages and frameworks that utilize SMT solvers for verification go further than this proposal. One such language, which I'll use as a reference because its syntax is very similar to Rust's, is ZetZ. In ZetZ, the model and theory keywords are used to explicitly encode function postconditions in the function signature and define type states, respectively.

If we were to apply this approach to Rust, for example through the model keyword, the motivating example API could look like this:

pub struct Pwm;

impl Pwm {
   pub fn new(pin: usize) where pin < NUMBER_OF_PINS, model self.is_disabled();
   pub fn set_duty_cycle(&mut self, value: u8) where value <= 100 && self.is_enabled();
   pub fn enable(&mut self) model self.is_enabled();
   pub fn disable(&mut self) model !self.is_enabled();
}

There could be some benefits to an approach like this:

• Clarity of how to achieve the preconditions of functions with precondition predicates. While in the former api we'd have to infer that is_enabled() is a consequence of enable(), in this case it becomes explicit.
  • Additional clarification of type states in ambiguous situations. In the expanded example above, we know that new produces a disabled Pwm driver.
  • Error locality and API stability: Users of a library would be less likely to suffer breakage.

Still, I believe this approach is inadvisable. There are a few reasons why I believe the boolean where clause is all that is needed, and these other keywords should not be pursued.

• It's hard to find a syntactic place for model postconditions and theory style type states that are as intuitive and readable as their where equivalent. Where the meaning of a boolean where clause is easy to grasp, a Rust beginner would have a much harder time intepreting what model means.
  • Allowing postconditions to be expressed at the function signature level makes it all too easy to create a disconnect between the function behaviour and the signature, requiring the separate interpretation of each.
  • Many of the benefits are already available through typestate programming.

Beyond concrete arguments, I'd say that taking things this far would be an excessive change to Rust, bringing along complex to maintain and explain syntax, while the boolean where clause slots nicely into an existing part of the language.

1 Like

So, what do you think? I welcome any thoughts and criticisms. As I mentioned at the start of the proposal, I'm not too experienced with the theory behind this, but I pushed through the impostor syndrome anyway because I feel strongly about the syntax and readability benefits.

Happy to learn further about the problem space with your input!

One downside is that many people would disable the SMT in debug builds to improve compile times, but this would mean that code that compiled in debug mode doesn't necessarily compile in release mode.

1 Like

I doubt we'll ever put an SMT solver into the type checker. This seems more suited for external tooling to handle instead.

2 Likes

Is there any practical way this could be done with external tooling alone? I have a hard time picturing how it could look.

These ideas remind me a bit of Liquid Haskell (Wikipedia) (Haskell is a functional programming language without anything support for formal verification by itself, Liquid Haskell is an extension of Haskell; it also uses an SMT solver), though this seems to aim at not going as far. There probably are other verification tools for imperative languages, too, that one could use for comparison (but I don’t know any particular ones myself).

I'll note that anything involving SMTs is difficult to make part of the language because of stability guarantees. This sounds interesting as a separate analysis pass, so it can take advantage of different amounts of computation on different machines, but don't need to define exactly how much of the checking is guaranteed.

I think for anything where guarantees are needed, the type system approaches you mention are probably good, even if they're more verbose.

Typestate is a bit verbose, but it'll get less verbose as we get better support for const generics. I think you can provide the same desired API with something like:

pub struct WithMax<T, const MAX: T>(T);

impl<T, const MAX: T> WithMax<T, MAX> {
    pub fn new(t: T) -> Result<Self, ()>
    where
        T: PartialOrd,
    ;
}

enum PwmState {
    Enabled,
    Disabled,
}

pub struct Pwm<const STATE: PwmState> {
    state: PhantomData<PwmState>,
}

impl<const STATE: PwmState> Pwm<STATE> {
    pub fn enable(self) -> Pwm<PwmState::Enabled>;
    pub fn disable(self) -> Pwm<PwmState::Disabled>;
}

impl Pwm<PwmState::Disabled> {
    pub fn new(pin: WithMax<usize, {PWM_PIN_COUNT-1}>) -> Pwm<PwmState::Disabled>;
}

impl Pwm<PwmState::Enabled> {
    pub fn set_duty_cycle(&mut self, value: WithMax<u8, 100>);
}

I think I'd personally have a separate PwmPin type at least. This would also be simplified further if we could support (fallible) custom literals (e.g. 8_PwmPin and 93_PwmValue, with inference as well ofc).

In conclusion, I think the benefit from a minimal solution with no actual proof effort from the compiler is not really any more beneficial than actually lifting what the compiler would track explicitly into the type system, so long as we continue to make said lifting easier through const generics (and maybe eventually support for custom literals).

3 Likes

Thanks for the example!

I may be missing something but, wouldn't your example always involve a runtime check for the integer limit? I can't see how, with const generics alone, you could enforce limits on values that don't require a runtime check for non-const cases.

I delved a lot on the "worst case scenario" in the proposal just so show the workaround is pretty legible, but naturally the main value of incorporating an SMT solver would be on all the cases that have some degree of intelligence behind the proof.

I agree about the Enabled/Disabled part, and typestates aren't that much a burden there. I don't see how they help with more complex restrictions than navigating a simple type state machine though.

Forgot to ask; I would like to know more about this :slight_smile: have there been previous discussions about why a SMT solver won't be added to the type checker?

I do remember from the discussion on Ticki's proposal for Pi types that the general mood wasn't against it. Has anything changed since? I tried to do my due diligence after this pre-RFC but I couldn't find much more on the issue.

An SMT solver is way too slow and as SMT solving is undecidable, the exact SMT solver is basically locked in as soon as it is stabilized.

I think fully supporting value semantics at compile time turns inevitably a language into a theoretic impractical one, for the following reasons:

• undecidability
  • slow compilation
  • tight coupling of code aka fragile code problem

The latter problem leads to overspecification akin to the exception system enumerating all the exception which can occur. Updating such signatures leads to a cascade of errors.

Tracking value state is also hard, e.g. you pull out an element of a list and want to apply that element to a function expecting the element to be five forcing the compiler to track the current state of the list. I think runtime contracts are more valuable, you aren't perfect with them, but you can improve safety with linting and the linting process don't have to be perfect opposed to a type system.

2 Likes

Here's a list of existing formal verification tools for Rust: Rust verification tools – Alastair Reid – Researcher at Google

1 Like