[Pre-RFC] Cargo - custom named profiles

I would like to proposed named custom profiles in Cargo.

(EDIT: RFC opened: RFC 2678)

Overview

Past proposal to increase flexibility of Cargo’s build flags for crates within a single cargo build invocation, has resulted in RFC 2282, which adds the flexibility of changing attributes of specific crates under one of the default profiles. However, useful as it is, it does not allow for a full custom profile name definition that can have its own separate directory under target, in parallel to debug and release.

Motivation

First, it I think it would be worth to note that I don’t regard this extension as making the previous overrides extension unnecessary. Rather, I think it is in fact orthogonal and complementary to it.

The motivation for having named custom profiles is to be able to easily throw everything under a custom compilation mode, which is chosen when Cargo is invoked from the command-line, just like --release is chosen. For example, if suppose I am frequently comparing between both a release build and a super-optimized release+LTO build, I would like Cargo to having two separate target/ directories, e.g. target/release, and target/release-lto, for which the binaries and incremental compilation is managed separately. This is so that I can easily switch between the two modes without penalty.

Here’s an example actual real-world user: tikv/issue/4189

Guide-level explanation

This proposal’s design is simple - let the user define profiles under new names, keeping the original names reserved, and allow the new profiles to inherit from existing ones. The exact Cargo.toml structure can be as such:

[profile.custom.release-lto]
inherits = "release"
lto = true

Passing --profile with the profile’s name to various cargo commands will resolve as if we used the inherited profile, with the overrides specified in the inheriting profiles, and all outputs will go to a different directory.

$ cargo build
$ cargo build --release
$ cargo build --profile release-lto
$ ls -l target
debug release release-lto

Having this result in a separate directory is important, because the intended use of this feature is usually to affect the build flags for all dependent crates anyway, and because we cannot currently have the same crate be built with different flags under the same profile.

Unanswered questions

• Is there a cleaner way to accomplish this now?
  • Bike-shedding whether we call this ‘inherit’ or something else (include?).
  • What restrictions to put on profile names
  • Should cargo clean behave regarding the custom profile output directories
4 Likes

Thanks for posting this!

For context, the original discussion had something similar, but was deferred for a broader workflow integration. However, the Cargo team discussed this and it seems like a reasonable thing to do in the short term. Workflows are unlikely to make significant progress soon, and I personally think it would be reasonable if a workflow definition just specified a default profile.

I’d like to hear from @matklad and @manishearth about their thoughts. Overall I think this would be useful.

I have a bunch of questions/concerns, but not all of them need to be answered now.

• What is the purpose of using the word custom in the profile key name? Do custom profiles have a separate namespace from built-in profiles? If so, does that mean you can’t say --profile=release? If they share a namespace, that would make adding new built-in profiles a problem. It can also make adding new things to the target dir difficult.

• Profile names would collide with rustc target names. In practice that’s unlikely ever to be an issue, but something to be aware of.

• It might be good to consider the future of the test/bench profiles. I don’t immediately see an impact, but I think custom profiles will contribute to how they are confusing and special. There is some desire to deprecate them, but I don’t completely agree with that. I think it would be interesting to keep them around, but change their defaults to inherits = "dev" (or release for bench), and reduce how special they are.

• Can an override inherit another profile? It seems reasonable, but just want to be clear.

[profile.dev.overrides.image]
    inherits = "release"

• check and rustc have a legacy --profile flag. How should custom profiles interact with that? My preference would be to rename the existing flag to --mode and then perhaps have some sort of backwards-compatibility. That may be tricky.

• I am working on adding a build profile (https://github.com/rust-lang/cargo/pull/6577). This may have problematic interactions with custom profiles. The issue is when a project has a large number of shared dependencies (between regular and build dependencies) that it can significantly increase initial build time. The intent is that if a user wants to share artifacts, they can specify [profile.dev.build_override] and [profile.release.build_override]. If there are even more profiles, it would have to be specified for each one, which sounds awkward. I think that interaction needs to be figured out.

I’m also assuming that there isn’t much desire to have multiple build profiles.

• What should the PROFILE environment variable say for custom build scripts?

• What should the “build type” be for the [finished] line say? Currently it is “release” or “dev”. The current design has caused some confusion, because a single command may use multiple profiles.

• Should cargo test --profile bar build the entire artifact and all deps with the bar profile, or should it continue to use the mixed test/bar profiles? I would prefer if it only used bar, and start to move away from the weird hybrid approach currently used.

1 Like

I like this! I do however have couple of comments on implementation side of things (which I am less familiar with than @ehuss)

• I feel we need to figure out what to do with bench & test profiles. I’d game for removing them, cargo test and cargo test --release should behave like cargo build and cargo build --release. Making them just usual profiles which inherit from dev/release seems fine as well, but I’d go for complete removal, if it is feasible.
  • target directory is complicated. Given the ideas about “global binary cache”, I think it make sense to maybe radically re-think how target is structures? The problem of #6577 where build profile does not work well because debug and release are different folders is a good case for this. 30-seconds thinking proposal would be to introduce target/.cache as a opaque directory where Cargo keeps all intermediate artifacts, and keep target/{profile} or target/{tripple}/{profile} solely for the end artifacts (what unstable --output-dir does today). This hopefully should allow sharing dependencies across profiles? (oh, that’s basically https://github.com/rust-lang/cargo/pull/6577#issuecomment-459415283 :))
2 Likes

I think existing behavior can be ported to the concept of custom profiles:

• test profile inherits the debug profile,
  • cargo test --release is a test profile that inherits the release profile,
  • bench inherits the release profile.

I’ve started refactoring this code in Cargo a while ago. test being a boolean in lots of places was definitely sub-optimal. But I never finished it, because of the vague notion that the team thought about doing something better instead.

I’ve gathered some answers to questions raised:

• release/debug folders: I am under the assumption that they are going to stay (I support @alexcrichton’s comment about this). Also, regardless of whether we make builds faster by global or local caching via improved file hashing and other methods (i.e. ‘shared artifacts’ between ‘dev’ and ‘release’), I think that the the user-facing aspect of custom profiles would be more focused on the final target outputs.
  • Namespace for profile names: It’s not by chance - I like the idea of a separate namespace for custom profiles. Perhaps these should also be specified using --profile custom.<name>, rather than directly.
  • Target directory: Perhaps we can put the output of all custom profiles under target/custom/<profile>, to avoid directory naming collisions.
  • test/bench profiles: Without minding how they are being regarded internally in Cargo, as a user I have always regarded these two as execution modes rather than build profiles. To illustrate, while having custom profiles, I would like to test/bench my release-lto and release separately and independently.
  • Overrides: I think it may create confusion if we add ‘inherit’ directive to overrides, because otherwise the Overrides and Custom Profile features can remain orthogonal.
  • Obsolete rustc --profile: I agree this needs a migration path to --mode.
  • Build profile: Might not be an issue - for example if a profile inherits from release, then it would also inherit all of its [profile.release.build_override] declarations, so no repeating would be necessary.
  • PROFILE env: (EDITED) should contain the output directory name rather than the profile name.
  • Build type reported: I guess that the name of the specified profiled should be printed.
  • Separation of artifacts. Before the shared artifacts change is implemented, I suggest that cargo <command> --profile <name> would not modify any files that are not under target/custom/<name> (but it should be able to read from a global artifact cache once it is implemented, in the future). Perhaps this way we improve predictability of how Cargo works - the user can expect how long he or she’s dev cycle is going to last based on what things are cached in which profile sub directory.

The reason I’m reluctant to remove them is that there are some situations where there isn’t a clear default. For example, in the original motivation there is a “release” and “release-lto” profile. Which one is appropriate for cargo bench? Or maybe normal “dev” profile is intolerable without aggressive optimization, but the user wants something different for cargo test. Sometimes projects don’t have a clear answer. But I don’t think it is critical to make a decision now.

Yea, that’s essentially what I’ve implemented in https://github.com/rust-lang/cargo/pull/6668. I’m concerned that this will break a lot of projects and workflows. I want to make sure that the affected use cases have some way to work correctly. Cargo may need to provide more information (like asking it for directories and such). No matter what, I think the transition will be bumpy for some people.

Yeah… I guess it might make sense to simultaneously remove test/bench profiles and introduce custom profiles? Then, if you really make use of a custom test profile, you can now run ‘cargo test —profile test’, where test is just a usual custom profile.

I’ll mention that the original design for http://rust-lang.github.io/rfcs/2282-profile-dependencies.html included custom profiles designed similarly to these, so that overrides would be a matter of “using” profiles as overrides instead of having their own profile-like key structure. However at the time due to the workflow concerns this stuff was postponed.

I don’t really have any comments on this RFC, the design seems fine. I mostly agree with @ehuss and would like to mention that I also think that we should carefully think about test/bench. I have a slight preference towards not putting these under profile.custom and custom/, but it’s nbd.

@da-x Can you collect this into an RFC and post it on the RFCs repo? (Some of the detailed points can go into “Unresolved questions” if they don’t have an obvious answer.)

I think we fundamentally want to move forward, there’s just some minor details to work out. The only real concern I have is namespacing. My preference would be to have a flat namespace and not worry about a special “custom” identifier. Restrictions can be placed on the custom name so that if absolutely necessary, we can work around it. I’m not concerned about Cargo adding new profiles in the future, and I’m also not too concerned about conflicts with target names.

1 Like

@ehuss - sure! I’m intending to get it done by the end of this week.

An alternative to namespacing would be to require a particular naming convention for custom profiles, like all custom profiles have a colon. This allows a sort of ad-hoc namespacing like custom:release-lto, client:dev, or (unnamespaced) :release. Any punctuation character would do. Period or hyphen are options. Hyphen would feel less namespacey, if that were preferred, though leading hyphen leads to potential confusion with command line options, and leading period creates hidden directories, so in those cases, perhaps a rule that the first character must be a letter would be useful.

1 Like

RFC opened: RFC 2678.