Placement NWBI<- FAQ (New/Box/In/Left Arrow)

This post is meant to collect questions (and answers) about Rust's placement syntactic form, the placement protocol, and the traits that data types use to implement their support for the form.

@pnkfelix will collect questions into this top description as they come up, and revise the entries (both questions and answers) in response to public discussion in the comment thread. (You can also suggest changes to him via other channels.)

Q(1): What is the strange acronym-like "NWBI<-" in the post title?

A(1): Summary: That is Felix's attempt at humor.

Our placement form has quite a history with a variety of syntactic keywords associated with it (new, box, in, <-). Felix formed the pseudo-acronym "NWBI<-" from that series of tokens.

Furthermore, if the <- token looks vague like an "e", then one might well pronounce the character string "NWBI<-" as "newbie."

Funny, right? (Well, ... there's a reason Felix is a developer and not a comedian.)

Anyway, there is a reason I put this answer first: since the syntax has gone through so many iterations, it can be hard to tell whether people are talking about the same or different things when one says "left-arrow" and another says "placement-in` and another says "box".

This document will usually use the phrase placement-in when talking about this feature in the context of Rust (even though it no longer uses the in keyword), and use the phrase placement-new when talking about the feature in the context of C++. We will occasionally also mention "placement-box", since Rust is likely to offer an overloaded form of the "box" operator, and it will serve a purpose similar to that of placement-in.

Nearly all of the code examples in this document will use the "current or expected future" syntax for a feature. This means that placement-in will be written PLACE <- EXPR, and placement-box will be written box EXPR.

Q(2). What do the placement forms do? (that is, what are their semantics?)

A(2). In the abstract, given types P and T, where P implements the Placer trait, and two Rust expressions PLACE and VALUE (of types P and T respectively), the PLACE <- VALUE expression works by:

1. evaluate PLACE to a placer p,

2. ask the placer p to allocate memory suitable for storing an instance of T,

3. evaluates VALUE into the previously allocated memory (that is, do not put it onto a temporary stack slot),

4. finally, if P supports it, the PLACE <- VALUE expression returns a handle-value that acts as a reference to (or, potentially, owner of) the allocated value.

The handle-value has type associated with <P as Placer>; if the placer does not support such handles, then its associated type will be the unit type ().

The placement-box expression is similar, except that it is only used when the place-allocation does not need any separate input to dictate from where the place is allocated. (The most obvious example is the Box<T> type, which allocates memory off of the global heap.)

Given types B and T where B implements the Boxed trait, the Rust expression VALUE of type T, and an expression context C[] expecting a value of type B, the box VALUE expression when evaluated in context C[] works by:

1. ask the type B to allocate memory suitable for storing an instance of T,

2. evaluate VALUE into the previously allocated memory (do not put it onto a temporary stack slot),

3. finally, box VALUE returns its handle-value: an instance of B that internally holds a reference to, or potentially owns, the allocated memory.

A final detail (but a very important one) is how these forms deal with cleanup when panic! occurs within the VALUE expression.

Ideally the temporary memory allocated by PLACE would be deallocated as the stack unwinds. The protocol defined by the Placer API support this, by having the temporary memory for storing T kept in a Place wrapper struct that implements Drop.

If the evaluation does not panic!, then the Place is forgotten (via mem::forget) so that its destructor does not run. If the evaluation of VALUE or the final construction of the handle-value does panic, then the destructor for the Place is in charge of rolling back the transaction (e.g. deallocating the reserved memory if necessary, as well as any other cleanup).

Q(3). What are some examples of where one would use the placement forms?

A(3). Below are some thoughts

• Arenas are a good match for placement-in: you want to allocate T into memory managed by the arena itself, and return &T from the expression arena <- T_EXPR.

• Vec<T> is capable of supporting placement-in as a more efficient alternative to vec.push(T_EXPR); the latter is defined to evaluate T_EXPR into a temporary stack slot, and then pass that value into the vec.push invocation.

• Box<T> is the current user of the box VALUE form.

• Rc<T> could also use box VALUE. Instead of doing let x = Rc::new(T_EXPR), you would write let x: Rc<T> = box T_EXPR;. This would avoid an intermediate stack allocation, and it also may yield more concise code in cases where the compiler can infer the expected type Rc<_>.

Q(4). Does Rust need a placement feature at all?

In other words: Can we not just rely on a compiler to do this kind of optimization for us, so that we continue writing vec.push(EXPR), and compiler optimizations remove the intermediate temporary stack storage?

A(4). We cannot in general rely on the compiler to do this for us.

As said by @eddyb:

the evaluation order differs between emplace and non-emplace. LLVM cannot and AFAIK Rust does not want to reorder side-effects such as allocations.

To be concrete, consider the suggest example. The vec.push(EXPR) method is defined to evaluate in this order:

1. Evaluate vec and EXPR (into a temporary stack slot)

2. Invoke the Vec::push method

3. The Vec::push method body will do the allocation of storage, (if capacity exceeded).

In particular, the side-effect of doing storage allocation is defined as coming after the evaluation of EXPR.

In some cases LLVM is able to inline and optimize to such a degree as to remove the intermediate stack slot, and we hypothetically could try to leverage that for low level routines.

But this does not resolve the more general problem. In the general case, we want users to be able to place allocations into arenas that they define, and in those cases, the side-effects of maintaining the arena storage cannot be automatically optimized by LLVM.

Q(5). Should protocol stabilization wait for feature X ?

The placement-in protocol is defined as using various unsafe methods and invariants that implementors of the protocol are responsible for maintaining. Should we instead add more general purpose features like &uninit references instead? (See e.g. this comment from reem and this comment from glaebhoerl)

A(5).

1. We are not sure that adding &uninit would pay for itself (even after hypothetical improvements to the Placer API.

2. Even if we had &uninit, we would still need to address partial cleanup (i.e., the place destructor, as discussed in "What do the placement forms do?"

Q(6). How did we decide on the syntax PLACE <- EXPR for placement-in? Why not <alternative syntax here>?

A(6). The form has gone through a number of iterations, and during each change, a large number of variants to the syntax have been proposed.

The iterations that were approved by the designers have been:

• box (PLACE) VALUE, where the PLACE is optional, and the whole (PLACE) could be omitted if VALUE does not start with a parenthesis.
  • in PLACE { VALUE }
  • PLACE <- VALUE

(I do not currently plan to list all of the suggested variants, though I would be happy to throw them into an appendix if there is demand. Nor do I plan to list the full pro/cons list for every variant.)

I will state the constraints we are trying to meet (which tend to favor our current syntax), as well as the drawbacks to the current syntax (as stated by commenters, not necessarily the FAQ author).

Constraints

Here are some of the constraints we wanted to meet:

• don't add new keywords,

• backwards compatible: don't change how old + stable programs parse,

• don't introduce parsing ambiguities (this rules out for example in PLACE VALUE)

• since PLACE will be evaluated before EXPR, have PLACE come before (i.e. to the left of) EXPR in the syntax,

• furthermore, there was a strong argument that the syntax should be "lightweight" (where P <- V is more lightweight than say box (P) V or in P { V }). The reasoning (such as presented in this comment from @petrochenkov) is that the placement form may become the preferred way to e.g. push onto the end of a vector, and therefore the syntax needs to be at least as easy to write as vec.push(value).

Drawbacks

Here are some stated drawbacks of the PLACE <- VALUE syntax. I do not currently plan to rebut any of these in this document; I just want to list them so that it does not seem like I am trying to claim that the syntax is flawless.

• It is so similar to an assignment lvalue = rvalue that we'll have to explain the difference between the two (comment)

• The combined form let x = y <- z; is ugly (comment)

• in particular, can lead the reader to think that y is being assigned to x, when it is z (or at least a handle to a boxed z) that is assigned to x (comment)

• It is an operator sigil that is (mostly) unused in other languages

• It may end up in code that looks like line noise (comment)

• The <- operator is not likely to produce useful results from a search engine (as compared to a syntax with a dedicated keyword, like in)

For further reference, see:

Q(7). Why does placement-in use an expansion-based implementation?

A(7). Largely due to simplicity of implementation. Many of the other language constructs (e.g. for and while loops) also use an expansion-based implementations.

However, we are not strictly wedded to an expansion-based implementation. It may be that we will need to switch to something that is not-expansion based. For example, if we were to support for auto-ref (so that PLACE <- VALUE will automatically turn into &mut PLACE <- VALUE if necessary), then that might be difficult to do in an expansion-based implementation.

Q(8). Why does the Placer API have Placer::make_place take self rather than &mut self?

(That is, taking self forces the programmer to insert &mut-borrows; wouldn't using &mut self allow the &mut-borrow to be automatically injected by auto-ref on method dispatch?)

A(8). (This question is actually a bit ambiguous as written. It could be complaining about the protocol API in terms of the traits one must implement, or it could be complaining about the need to write &mut in the client code. The current answer assumes the former; I hope to revise it or fork off another question to address the latter.)

The short answer is: It would indeed be nice if Placer::make_place took &mut self rather than self. There are reasons for the current API that passes self. The first issue probably will not matter in the long term, but the second issue is likely to be flummox potential redesigns of the API.

1. The current implementation relies on UFCS in the macro-expansion, and UFCS does not use method-call syntax. In other words, the emitted code is Place::make_place($PLACER), rather than the $PLACER.make_place() that you might expect.
The fact that the `$PLACER` is passed in the argument list means that you would not get auto-ref for that argument. So the distinction between `self` and `&mut self` is more significant than one might think, in the current implementation.

(Furthermore, placement-`in` as originally envisaged also encouraged the use of constants as Placers to support using placement-`in` syntax for `Box<T>`, i.e. something like `let b = (BOX_PLACER <- VALUE)`. Switching from `self` to `&mut self` would in fact introduce a *new* place that would now require a borrow, i.e. the above would have to be written `let b = ((&mut BOX_PLACER) <- VALUE);`. Note that this again is a consequence of the implementation's use of UFCS.)

But, perhaps a future placement-`in` expansion could correct for this, so this is currently more of an excuse for why `self` is acceptable, rather than a reason for why we *cannot* use `&mut self`. Let us move on to explore what problems `&mut self` cause.
  1. To pass &mut self instead of self probably requires higher-kinded types (HKT).

I hope to elaborate more on this answer, but for now, you can refer to my comment here.

Q(9). Which stdlib datatypes currently support placement-in?

A(9). None, currently. :slight_smile:

We are still finalizing the protocol API. We have not added Placer support to any of the standard library types.

I believe the plan is to add support to the library types, revising the protocol if necessary (and/or possible, in the case of clear improvements) as we go along, and only stabilize the protocol after we have concrete evidence that it has the right semantics and performance characteristics.

(Hopefully this answer will be revised in the relatively near future.)

Q(10). Which stdlib datatypes should support placement-in?

A(10). Obvious candidates here:

• placement-in: Vec TypedArena

• placement-box: Box, Rc, Arc

• also, the forthcoming Allocator API may add a further twist, such as perhaps combining allocator-parametric Box with placement-in.

Q(11). What are some potential future language features that we should consider integrating with placement-in, if possible?

A(11). For now, here are some off-the-cuff thoughts on this

• If we add higher-kinded types then that might allow nice changes to the protocol. (But we may not want to wait for that.)

• If we add &uninit references then that might allow nice changes to the protocol. (But we may not want to wait for that.)

• Specifying memory as non-moving types may be a good match for placement-in. [RFC issue 417: "Support for intrusive data structures and unmoveable types"][RFC issue 417]

In particular, one might want to use a special form like PLACE <- VALUE for initializing such memory (since such types by definition cannot move).

Note that in practice we may want to revise/extend the protocol in such cases so that we feed the target address into the construction of the VALUE itself.

Update (2015/12/19): a recent conversation with members of the Compiler and Servo teams led me to realize that (I think) we can already accomplish the above with the current protocol, or nearly so, if you twist your mind accordingly.

• The main idea is this: let handle: Box<T> = place <- kernel; would be the way to initialize non-moving memory of type T at place, based on a kernel value of type K (note: not T).
    • The key is that you would allocate the memory, and the place would know where that is, and it would also have somewhere to stash the kernel value.
    • Then, the finalize method of the place would be in charge of actually initializing the final memory for T, and that code has access to the address of where the T is located.
    • Its not the prettiest thing in the world, but I was super surprised when it was revealed, because I had been assuming that we would need to change/extend the Placer protocol to support this use case. The main question here is: Can one readily write such a finalize method in a way that still deals properly with any panics that it encounters from its subroutine invocations. i don't know yet, but I don't have an immediate counter-example either, so that's good news, right?

Q(12). Why can't we leverage closures rather than add new syntax and/or this complex trait-based protocol?

In particular, why not use a simpler desugaring that would wrap the in a once-function closure; this way, you would still force the expected order-of-evaluation (do the allocation first, then run the closure, letting return value optimization handle writing the result into the backing storage).

A(12). Ignoring the issue that this relies on return-value optimization actually kicking in (which @pnkfelix found to not be generally reliable, and in any case we wouldn't want debug builds to differ so much in runtime behavior that they could e.g. stack overflow with ease) ... the most obvious place where this completely falls down is that it does not do the right thing for something like this:

let b: Handle<T> = placer <- try!(run_code()

because under the once-function desugaring, that gets turned into something like:

placer.make_place(|| -> T { try!(run_code()) })

which will not do the right thing when run_code returns an Err variant, and in fact will not even type-check.

Q(Ω). What kind of FAQ is this? You left out my question ...!

A(Ω). If you think the FAQ is missing an entry, or if one of the questions/answers needs expansion, feel free to add a note to this comment thread. @pnkfelix will try to keep the top-most part up to date for as long as the FAQ lives on this internals thread.

(At some point the FAQ may migrate to another location, like a wiki or perhaps a book like the rustonomicon -- at that point the text here will be amended or replaced with a forwarding pointer to the new home.)

References:

[RFC issue 405: "box syntax"][RFC issue 405] [RFC issue 405]: `box` syntax · Issue #405 · rust-lang/rfcs · GitHub

RFC PR 470: placement box with Placer trait for overloading, and its Pre-RFC.

• Side note: There is a lot of useful information in this RFC PR that did not get copied into later RFC texts, which probably represents a failure somewhere on the part of @pnkfelix and/or the RFC process itself. In particular, I found very few mentions of the once-function desugaring (and why it was abandoned) in the later RFC texts, even though it was one of those ideas that needs to be documented because it seems like a great solution until you actually implement it ... i.e., exactly the kind of variation that deserves documentation.

[RFC PR 809: "overloaded-box and placement-in][RFC PR 809] [RFC PR 809]: https://github.com/rust-lang/rfcs/pull/809

[RFC 809 current text][RFC 809 text] [RFC 809 text]: rfcs/text/0809-box-and-in-for-stdlib.md at master · rust-lang/rfcs · GitHub

[RFC PR 1228: "Place left arrow syntax (place <- expr)"][RFC PR 1228] [RFC PR 1228]: https://github.com/rust-lang/rfcs/pull/1228

[RFC 1228 current text][RFC 1228 text] [RFC 1228 text]: rfcs/text/1228-placement-left-arrow.md at master · rust-lang/rfcs · GitHub

[RFC PR 98: "Uninitialized Pointers"][RFC PR 98] [RFC PR 98]: RFC: Uninitialized Pointers by gereeter · Pull Request #98 · rust-lang/rfcs · GitHub

[RFC issue 417: "Support for intrusive data structures and unmoveable types"][RFC issue 417] [RFC issue 417]: Support for intrusive data structures and unmoveable types · Issue #417 · rust-lang/rfcs · GitHub

7 Likes

ugh the formatting is screwed up in various ways.

But the content is still essentially there. I’ll be back to try to correct the formatting in a few hours

Great read. Thanks.

Good write up! A few comments.

There is clearly an advantage to being able to use my_vec.front <- item over my_vec.push(item), but the change in form is slightly jarring. An implementation detail has become a clear syntactic change even though the semantics are roughly the same. I know that rustc and llvm in general cannot optimize that kind of thing away but perhaps we could introduce a way to mark methods and functions as “placer” functions? Any use of the parameter would not be valid until the item has been placed/initialized within the body. And in fact, perhaps the <- syntax could be used for this within methods.

So specifically what I’m wondering is, is it possible perhaps to add a pragma #[unitialized(arg1, arg2, arg3)] to require the arguments listed in the method be placed before used? This would shelter users from implementation details. It would also change the order of side effects in a significant but in my opinion backwards compatible way.

Of course reimplementing vector.push(item) in terms of an uninitialized marker pragma would break builder patterns, so many of these should be new, “in place” versions of methods, in the same way we have mut versions. vector.push_ip(item) as shorthand.

Admittedly, hidden semantics are not the best choice, but I want to put this idea out here because I really think similar things should look similar, and pushing a value with a temporary stack allocation, and pushing a value without one, should both be transparent. Shouldn’t they?

Alternatively, we already have a very robust notion of lvalues and assignment. Currently, place = value is valid syntax where place is &mut. What’s wrong with extending the notion of lvalues to include places? Then instead of reference = (place <- value) we have reference = (place = value), where assignment returns the reference if it supports it as was mentioned in the RFC.

I am going to reiterate this because I think it is important. The fact that chaining assignment is currently possible but useless, the fact that we have such a flexible notion of lvalues but are not leveraging this concept for an ambitious and serious addition to Rust semantics, and the fact that rather than using existing syntax we have to add new syntax concerns me. I think reinvestigating the possibilities of overloading lvalues to include places is a lot more appealing.

The potential for introducing garden paths is a big deal, to me. To preserve left to right reading, there should be an additional left associative -> operator that does exactly what one might expect.

let reference = value -> some_vec.place();

Obviously this was the advantage of the box in place syntax, but this also means that no new keywords have to be introduced. It’s consistent with the other version. I think it’s quite common in most language constructs with this kind of directional semantics to offer two versions of an operator so one is not preferred over the other.

This is not about changing the syntax. I am just proposing to add a little more to it. I don’t think this will be ambiguous with type context -> because even when writing out closures, there is a clear and unambiguous difference between the places where one might expect an expression and where one might expect a type.

1 Like

How would this work? Do you mean that the evaluation of the argument expressions would be delayed until ... sometime in the middle of the body of the method being called?

Bascially I don't really understand how the pragma you suggest would be implemented, unless you really do mean that it be some sort of call-by-name evaluation strategy

I do mean that, but in retrospect it isn’t a good idea.

I still stand by overloading =, however. But seeing as this RFC has already been accepted, I missed the final comment period and I think that’s fair.

1 Like

This topic is very similar to objective-C’s alloc and init methods:

SomeObject *myObject = [[SomeObject alloc] init];
// Or with parameters
SomeObject *myObject = [[SomeObject alloc] initWithFoo: foo];

Personally I lean towards the &uninit semantics where an allocator generates new uninitialized places (like sources in a directed graph) and the placement protocol is used for initialization of those places. I wonder if the pointer type has to be user facing (i.e. in the language) or just internal in the compiler and used for static analysis. In C# AFAIK the compiler uses analysis to track first initialization and prevents compilation of erroneous programs.

void foo() {
    int a;
    if (condition) {
        a = 5;
    } else { 
        a = 0;
    }
   // do something with a
}

foo above will not compile without the else branch.

Well, to be fair, the real point where the ship sails and there's no going back is when a feature is ungated and stabilized.

We haven't even landed a patch yet for gated <- on the unstable release channel, let alone have it on the beta or stable channels.

So, regardless of my own opinion as to what path is best, there is certainly room for course correction in the short term as we go here.

From my point of view, a struct implementing the Placer trait IS an uninitialized pointer, but a rich one, that understands cleanup and so forth.

1 Like

Some questions that need to be added to the FAQ (see Rust Issue 27779 and RFC Issue 1315):

• Q Why are is there both a Placer and a Place trait? Can we not make do with just one?

• Q How is fallible allocation supposed to be handled?

• Q Are we really planning to have Placer global constants (e.g. HEAP, RC, from some of the original discussions of the protocols).

Shouldn’t the Place trait (or at least InPlace) be an unsafe trait if the placement protocol is relying on it returning a valid, non-null pointer?

1 Like

Shouldn't the Place trait (or at least InPlace) be an unsafe trait if the placement protocol is relying on it returning a valid, non-null pointer?

Hmm, the original API designs I think predated unsafe traits ... now that you mention this, I can't think of a good reason not to do it.

After I posted that I realised that all the protocol relies on is the Placer to return a valid Place, so if anything should be an unsafe trait it should probably be that. Sorry about that, I was a little confused about why 3 traits were necessary, but I think I understand now.

It seems like making Placer unsafe would prevent creating a wrapper around a struct implementing Placer in safe code. E.g., say I want to create a custom type that I want to support placement into. It would be nice if I could, without using unsafe, have an internal Vec or TypedArena (depending on the desired semantics) to which I delegate my Placer::make_place implementation.

1 Like

yes I agree.

I think the original suggestion of making Place itself an unsafe trait will cover the wrapper use-case, right?

It would seem so to me.

I was thinking about this, and I realized that while making Place an unsafe trait does allow the wrapper use case with safe code, it does make the abstraction leaky. That is, without being able to also wrap Place, code using the wrapper will be able to see that the Place returned is a VecPlaceBack (or whatever), and treat it as such. Thus, changing the inner container could technically cause breakage.

One way to solve this problem would be to introduce some kind of abstract associated type to go along with the proposed idea for abstract function return types. This would prevent the code using the wrapper from relying on the specific type implementing Place.

FWIW, I think this would be a natural extension of the abstract type feature discussed in/on the new RFC by @Kimundi (that is, allowing an associated type to be defined as an abstract type in an impl). Basically the same idea is described in the "Translating Abstract Types" section of the paper ML Modules and Haskell Type Classes: A Constructive Comparison (longer version). (I suspect this may also be the same thing @eddyb and @aturon were discussing before I had even understood what it's about - or in @eddyb's case, implementing.)

My head is too small for the placer protocol to fit inside, but a different direction that may also be applicable would be, considering that our "associated types" correspond to Glasgow Haskell's "type families", to add the equivalent of data family as well, which in Rust parlance would probably be called "associated structs". In that case there would be a direct 1-to-1 mapping between types implementing the trait and their associated structs (or enums), instead of an associated type which maps onto a previously-declared type. (I'm not sure whether this obviates the "changing the inner container" possibility.)

Having recently re-read this FAQ, I've developed a couple of new-ish thoughts :slightly_smiling::

I don't see how this could work without relying on RVO. What if the VALUE is a function call? IIRC, the idea was that large values are returned by pointer into the caller-allocated space anyways, so all that box expression needs to do is ensure that pointer passed to the callee is the one returned by the placer. Why wouldn't this work with closures?

Yeah, but if run_code() returns Result<T,E>, how can we avoid creating a temporary value for it? We can't put it into the memory allocated by the placer, since Result<T,..> is larger than T (in most cases), so it'd have to go on the stack, which kinda defeats the whole purpose of using placement operator...

This point is not about space overhead. The point is that the try! expands to control flow (specifically a return in the error case), and therefore putting it into the closure is incorrect: It won't return from the function that defines b, it only returns from the closure. And what's worse, it doesn't even compile because the closure must return T but in the error case try! would return Result<T>.