Last summer, I wrote a blog post about what I would remove from Rust if I were trying to create a simpler language with a similar type discipline but a less strict performance profile. Here's the link:
This winter and spring I took some time to actually work on designing this language. The most interesting development was an abstract distinction between "data" and "resource" types (which is latent in Rust is a somewhat limited way). I wrote an updated post with my new thoughts, based on this experiment, here:
This post is not to propose any change to Rust (even my brief discussion of "Autoclone" at the end I'm not very interested in talking about further now). But I thought these posts would be of interest more generally to the language enthusiasts on this forum, and I wanted to bring them to peoples' attention.