LLVM Release Process

At a roundtable at the recent Bay Area LLVM Dev meeting, there was a discussion regarding the process LLVM uses to execute releases.

A lot of the teams who heavily contribute to LLVM development do independent releases closer to trunk and aren't as engaged with the official release process. So the discussion turned to downstream consumers of llvm, like Rust. I haven't paid terribly close attention but from what I recall Rust does try to take content from upstream llvm around the time of those releases. Would it be valuable for some member(s) of the Rust dev team to engage with the llvm release-testers list and give feedback about any regressions encountered (or lack thereof)? It would be a mutual benefit to LLVM and Rust. This is something that Andrew Kelley has been doing with Zig, for example.

8 Likes

cc @nikic @cuviper @alexcrichton who seem to be doing this downstream testing work now.

The 10.0.0 release process is underway: http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/release-testers/2020-January/001122.html and we should expect rc1 within a couple days.

@nikic @cuviper @alexcrichton (and anyone else!) -- if you are interested in providing feedback on release candidates or on the final 10.0.0 release, feel free to chime in on the release-testers list or let me know and I'll help report bugs, relay questions, etc.

3 Likes

LLVM 10 compatibility landed in pr67900, while the actual upgrade for rustc is still WIP in pr67759. The latest perf results don't look great so far.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.