Idea: syntactic sugar for if(let)/for/extend/append in vec! macro

In some logic that constructs a Vec<T>, certain conditions may have to satisfy before some items be added at a certain position, or it may be necessary to use a for, extend an IntoIterator<T> or append another Vec<T> at a certain position. Currently once any of these logic is in place, vec! must be split. It might be more ergonomic if vec! can integrate these logic with some kind of syntactic sugar. The effect would probably be like this:

let mut v = Vec::new();
v.push(1);
if true {
    v.push(2);
}
for n in 3..5 {
    v.push(n);
}
v.append(&mut vec![6, 7, 8]);
v.extend([9, 10]);
if let Some(n) = Some(11) {
    v.push(n);
}
v

is equivalent to

vec_ext![
    @if true {
    },
    @for i in 3..5 {
        i
    },
    @append(&mut vec![6, 7, 8]),
    @extend([9, 10]),
    @iflet Some(n) = Some(11) {
        n
    },
]

The syntactic details need to be discussed further. Thanks to Rust's macro system, we can use ordinary macro_rules or proc macro to try to implement it, unlike other languages where literal is directly at the language syntax level. Even if the discussion results in it not being suitable for inclusion in std (which seems likely), it can be implemented in a separate crate for those who need it. I will try to write an implementation later.

Even if the discussion results in it not being suitable for inclusion in std (which seems likely), it can be implemented in a separate crate for those who need it. I will try to write an implementation later.

Generally things should start out as a crate anyway if they can be implemented that way.

1 Like

Off the top of my head I wonder how close you can get to what you want with a chain of iterator operations leading into a .collect::<Vec<_>>().

This topic was cross-posted to URLO, linking back with the remark

Originally posted in internals, but since it is unlikely to make it to std, perhaps it would be more appropriate to post it here.

Which is in line with what @the8472 noted above: it’s indeed unlikely this would make it directly into std. To avoid duplicate/parallel discussions, I’m closing this topic.

@H2CO3 did actually already post a great adaptation into a .chain().….collect() expressions on URLO.