Diversity on the governance teams

The team felt like mentioning my group as an explicit example for diversity work. This was the first time the team spoke to us in any team capacity. Do you see my point about neglect there?

I appreciate that sentiment. What is your opinion on a concrete way forward? What time frames does it have? What is the commitment? When do you consider it successful or failed?

That pretty much sums up the problem. It hasn't been seen as a problem. A joint announcement instead of a link on twitter would have fixed a lot of things.

My current suggestions is to move back on commitment of to the teams and make them clearly temporary with explicit goals.

Why haven't you considered that before the party? That would have been the moment for a show of force. We're far to focused on "and now we finish this milestone and then we finally do the outreach work".

We did most of our outreach through Rails Girls. Ask those groups to propagate your invitation and put it into their channels. Make sure you get good standing with those groups and they will reflect you message. Also: yes, they only focus on web, but maybe not everyone is interested in web after a while? The Berlin clojure community for example is run by a Rails Girls training group. (Which makes local Clojurists rants about Ruby very funny)