Could `unlikely` and `likely` be stabilized in `std::hint`?

The unlikely or likely could be stabilized as macros to hint compiler about branch prediction heuristics. That would make porting some C libraries to Rust more natural.

Related discussions

9 Likes

This reminds me of https://users.rust-lang.org/t/how-expensive-is-rc-refcell-borrow-mut/26713/4

I don’t know enough of the internals so maybe this is already the case, but when a branch leads to a panic (such as when calling .borrow_mut() while a borrow is already held), then it seems to me that tagging these branches as unlikely could improve the performance of bug-free programs.

Aside

Could ::std::hint::unreachable_unchecked() include something like

#[cfg(debug_assertions)] {
    unreachable!(concat!(
        "This is a very serious soundness hole, "
        "submitting an issue to the developers would be really appreciated",
    ));
}

?

0 Likes

I’m skeptical about stabilizing unlikely and likely as-is. It doesn’t seem like the right interface and is not general enough to fit pattern matching. (and iirc there were other problems? cc @nagisa)

A better interface would be something akin to this GHC proposal:

Basically, we’d allow the user to write:

match foo {
    arm => {
        #![bikeshed = 5]
        // logic
    },
    arm => {
        // logic
    },
}

if somecondition {
    #![bikeshed = 4]
    // logic
} else if othercondition {
    #![bikeshed = 2]
    // logic
} else {
    #![bikeshed] // Same as `#![bikeshed = 1]`
}

As a sugar for the first match we’d also allow:

match foo {
    #[bikeshed = 5]
    arm => /* logic */,
    arm => /* logic */,
}

Here bikeshed could be likely or something.

4 Likes

panic is already marked as #[cold], which tells the optimizer to treat any branch that panics as unlikely.

For now the new_debug_unreachable crate has a macro that does this.

1 Like

soundness hole

Nitpick: I think “soundness hole” is the wrong word here; better to say UB, because this is LLVM UB, not just Rust UB. “Soundness” is almost always referring to a static check failure, and unreachable_unchecked exists outside of any Rust static checking.

0 Likes

I think he was just giving an example of an error message that a dev might put, not that using unreachable_unchecked is in itself unsound. Rather that if that branch is ever reached on a debug build, then it would trigger the panic and ask the user to tell the dev about the bug, which the dev has chosen to label as a soundness-hole.

1 Like

I’m quite unsure if I want to see this in the language or not.

In particular, the compiler is almost always more right than the programmers intuition. And as with #[inline], these annotations might make the performance worse if applied in a wrong way. Not having it prevents people from overusing it and shooting themselves in the foot.

On the other hand, there are some times when the compiler is not right.

0 Likes

Given their existence in C and necessity in high performance C, I don’t think we can consider this an optional feature.

4 Likes