There’s been some discussion of trade offs between smaller and larger crates. I think we should find a middle option with an alternate mix of pros/cons.
- comments by burnt sushi: https://www.reddit.com/r/rust/comments/c9fzyp/analysis_of_rust_crate_sizes_on_cratesio/et046dz/
- Tokio rfc: https://github.com/tokio-rs/tokio/issues/1318
My summary of the issue:
There is a trend towards smaller crates parts of rust ecosystem (Tokio is a good example).
- Easier to make breaking changes
- Faster compilation time
- Coordintation/Discovery can be hard
- Per dependency overhead:
- Is it maintained
- Is it license compatible
- Does it have a minimum version check
- Filing an upstream bug: new repo/author
- Probably more