Bootstrap warning "Use `--keep-stage-std` ..." persists even when the option is used

A pull request Add `--keep-stage-std` to `x.py` for keeping only standard library artifacts by ecstatic-morse · Pull Request #77120 · rust-lang/rust · GitHub introduces an option --keep-stage-std for bootstrapping (./x), but it does not provide any meaningful action, but it is just another syntactic bloat of --keep-stage option.

As you can see in the pull request, it pipes the option --keep-stage-std value to config.keep_stage_std and flags.keep_stage_std, but I cannot find any unique functionality of config.keep_stage_std value compared to config.keep_stage.

I think keeping this option is unnecessary. Am I missing something?

Reference: Following is the only part I found where config.keep_stage_std value used:

EDIT: I discovered another logic that distinguishes keep_stage and keep_stage_std:

EDIT: changed the title from "Bootstrap option --keep-stage-std is meaningless" to "Bootstrap warning "Use --keep-stage-std ..." persists even when the option is used". I'm rethinking whether the option is actually meaningless. Sorry for the confusion. :melting_face:

From my understanding:

• keep_stage copies third party objects and copy_self_contained_objects, skipping the compiler build
  • keep_stage_std also copies these objects but doesn't skip the compiler build.

I apologize for my earlier mistake. Let's discuss this option further. My initial misunderstanding and post on this forum were prompted by a persistent warning message from the bootstrapping script ./x. It shows "WARNING: Use --keep-stage-std if you want to rebuild the compiler when it changes", even if I use multiple --keep-stage-std options like ./x build compiler --keep-stage 0 --keep-stage 1 --keep-stage-std 0 --keep-stage-std 1. After researching on GitHub, I realized that this warning only depends on the keep_stage configuration, not the presense of keep_stage_std.

I find this rigid method of showing warning messages to be confusing and not straightforward.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.