2019 Strategy for Rustc and the RLS

I’ve been thinking more about this. It feels to me that compile time remains a “core challenge” for Rust. We’ve made a lot of progress but we are not there and I’d like to make this a prime focus.

I propose that we split up this thread into two threads to talk a bit more in detail:

• IDE:
    • Here we need the ability to rapidly process incremental updates and give back certain specific kinds of information. I’ve been hoping that the incremental infrastructure we’ve built up will serve for that role but this is not entirely clear.
    • In addition, I feel like we need to discuss longer term about the relationship between the RLS and rustc. What logic lives where, who will maintain it, etc.
  • Overall compilation time:
    • Quite apart from IDE support, there is lots of work to be done on improving rustc’s overall compilation time even in a traditional “run the compiler” setting.
    • Earlier, I enumerated some avenues above, though there are no doubt more. (e.g., I forgot the idea of using Cranelift as an alternative backend…)

Overall, I think we should aim for bold initiatives that will make a big difference, and not be afraid to plan out big architecture changes. At the same time, we need to structure things so that we don’t have to wait years for the payoff (as we have sometimes done in the past).

20 Likes