2019 Strategy for Rustc and the RLS

So, I was thinking about this. Looking beyond the RLS + incremental for a second, there are a number of proposed ideas that I think could have a significant effect on overall compilation time. Many of them will benefit one another, as well:

• End-to-end queries
    • Right now, parsing + macro-expansion + name-resolution are not part of the query system and incremental can’t do anything with them
    • Creating the incremental infrastructure from the start would let us start to change that
    • This would be very useful for RLS integration of queries, I think
    • However, this “session” code is grungy and old and I think this is probably non-trivial. We sketched out some plans at Rust All Hands, I’d have to go back to our notes, but I remember the conclusion was “this will be work”.
    • This is also one place where the libsyntax2 story definitely intesects
  • Parallelize the compiler (tracking issue)
    • @Zoxc did awesome work enabling us to parallelize the compiler
    • But the last mile isn’t done! There were various refactorings and architectural changes we wanted to make as well.
    • It is not integrated with incremental, either
    • We’ve not done much measuring of perf
  • Multicrate sessions
    • The “full vision” for queries is that we should be able to compile many crates at once, as I talked about earlier
    • This might allow us to skip a lot of work
  • MIR-only rlibs (tracking issue)
    • Right now, our rlibs contain actual executable code
    • The idea here is that we just store MIR in the rlibs so that we can do a better job reducing duplicates and so forth
  • Erasing types where possible
    • We’ve often discussed (most recently here) the idea of erasing types (to reduce monomorphization overhead) when we can tell it’s safe. This is a big job but a worthwhile one.
16 Likes