Why are optional dev dependencies disabled?

Setup:

I am working on a project that uses wai-bindgen-wasmer, which has two features: sys and js. My crate also has those two features, so my Cargo.toml looks something like this:

[dependencies]
wai-bindgen-wasmer = { version = "0.4" }

[features]
sys = ["wai-bindgen-wasmer/sys"]
js = ["wai-bindgen-wasmer/js"]

The problem:

This worked well until I needed to add tests. With the js feature, I also need the wasm-bindgen-test crate. So, I added it as an optional dev dependency:

[dependencies]

[dev-dependencies]
wasm-bindgen-test = { version = "0.3", optional = true }

[features]
js = ["wai-bindgen-wasmer/js", "wasm-bindgen-test"]

But this gives an error saying that optional dev dependencies are not possible. I do not understand why. I need wasm-bindgen-test only for testing, so it's a dev dependency. And I only need it with the js feature, so it's an optional dev dependency.

Workaround:

I tried googling this, and here a comment suggests making it a normal optional dependency instead, so I came up with this:

[dependencies]
wasm-bindgen-test = { version = "0.3", optional = true }

[features]
js = ["wai-bindgen-wasmer/js"]
js-test = ["js", "wasm-bindgen-test"]

This works, but it's kind of bad for several reasons:

1. It creates a new undeeded feature "js-test", which is confusing for both developers and users of the library
  2. It lists wasm-bindgen-test in normal dependencies, even though it is a dev dependency, which again is confusing for the users of the library
  3. When testing, you have to remember to use js-test instead of js, which is an extra burder on the developers.

Moving forward

I don't really understand why optional dev dependencies should be disabled on purpose. Is there a good reason?

Alternatively, is there a better solution to this problem? Including wasm-bindgen-test as a mandatory dev dependency happens to work in my case, but it might not work in other cases where it would pull conflicting crates or features for example.

1 Like
1 Like

Reading from that thread (second comment):

Should Cargo silently ignore all activated dev-dependencies?

Yes. Cargo already silently ignores all dev-dependencies from a create in that case. Ignoring all dev-dependencies is correct behaviour, regardles of wherher they are activated by a feature of not.

Also, some comments mention using 2 crates to separate the dependencies as a solution. I guess that could work, but it's just another bad workaround instead of actually solving the problem.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.