[this is deleted]

[this is deleted] [this is deleted]

7 Likes

谢谢你!我没有时间做这个工作所以我很开心看这。

So I think the biggest problem here is that this is keyed on the existing English text in the docs; which means that any edits whatsoever to the English docs will bring things out of sync. The plan as proposed in the original thread is still the best path forward in my opinion: We need to get a way for rustdoc to dump a json file mapping item paths to their markdown docs. We can then get these JSON files translated (ideally through Pontoon, but we can start off with manual translations) in a separate repo and use those in released documentation by allowing rustdoc to be passed a directory containing translations.

I'm happy to provide direction on how to do this, but I don't have the time to do it myself.

Really glad to see some movement along this direction, though!

3 Likes

Yes, I understand. Firstly, I can't find the Cmtor program anywhere, or any documentation on it. But as a wider point, the internationalization community has been moving away from keying on the strings themselves towards having more structured keys, and this is why the plan for rustc has always been to use the item paths as keys.

Your efforts are indeed using JSON, but they're not using it the way we need: they should be mapping item paths to documentation, not "english documentation to translated documentation". Again, the original thread has a plan laid out in the first post.

That's a very good effort. The structure of JSON contains all necessary data, but not yet in the format required for maintaining the translations for a long time. In any case, we can hopefully use them to jump start such translation efforts. While it's true that, over time, the current form of matching exact documentation strings becomes outdated, if we were to start the i18n effort now then this JSON can provide very good initial matches for most of the documentation.

I would vastly prefer if a format like fluent were used here instead of JSON, for consistency with pontoon and the rest of the i18n infrastructure that we have.

From my perspective, there has been the desire to provide such things (also translation of the book), but there's never been enough people staffing and executing such things.

2 Likes

I think the trade-off between matching strings of English and matching path names is about what happens when the English docs change: matching exact strings will result in the changed sentences being in English (easy to automatically detect), whereas matching path names results in the change being silently ignored (harder to automatically detect).

So in the case of docs Fluent doesn't bring much to the table because there's no complex substitution going on. I'm actually not really in favor of using Fluent for stuff other than diagnostics.

Pontoon supports some JSON formats and if we want we can add support for our own. The important thing is that it needs to be a key value format, not a "golden" (keyed by existing text) format. Once we have that, it can be pretty trivially molded into a form Pontoon will like.

2 Likes

Can't we have the translation machinery talk to version control to detect when the English has changed?

Long time ago, I made a pre-RFC about localization by improving rustdoc, I did not investigated further since it did not seemed to get many traction, but I believe that it would be the best way to have a good translation workflow, for all crates, where the translation can be part of the main project without constraining the developer

1 Like

In my proposal, while translation are matched by item name, there is also a copy of the original text on the translation file, so you simply can compare the original text to the current doc comment to detect outdated translation.

Relying on an additional tool that is not part of the Rust toolkit does not seem a good idea.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.