Trait objects, auto trait subtyping?

I can't say I'm all that sure if whether it's relevant or not, but the GhostCell API uses impl for<'a> FnOnce(…) -> R and I don't think 'static works there.

But I admit that I'm not confident that I'm following the logic here properly and may not actually be relevant; it just reminds me of that.

Note that the third example can also fail to compile when we use a pair of types where one is a subtype of another.

trait Foo<'a> {}

fn foo1() -> &'static dyn for<'a> Foo<'a> {
    todo!();
}

fn foo2() -> &'static dyn Foo<'static> {
    todo!();
}

fn main () {
    let mut f;
    f = foo1();
    f = foo2();
}

(and the other 2 examples' main functions do compile with these foo1/foo2 above)

Maybe the claim "Subtyping [...] can occur at any stage in type checking or inference." just promises more than what the compiler actually offers?

It's not really relevant. I'm not claiming that there's no difference between the types dyn for<'a> Tr<'a> and dyn Tr<'static>, there definitely is! I'm saying that the relationship between those two types might be fully described by a set of coercion rules and without additional/alternative "magic" in type-checking and/or type-inference.

This is because you're trying to use a supertype in place of a subtype, but this is not guaranteed to work (the opposite it possible though). To make a simplier example without lifetimes, it's as if you're saying that a function that requires T: Ord can't be changed to use T: PartialOrd, but the opposite is possible because Ord implies PartialOrd.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.