Trait implementation variables - "impl vars"

Sorry, that's not how things work. Quoting myself from a previous request with a similarly abstract request:

If you just want to showcase something, then be clear that that is what you are doing. Don't put something on the table and say "something should be done" and refuse to explain when folks ask you what to do with your proposal.

Here, there are questions about the implications of your proposal. Now, if you want to say "do what you need, I just want my feature" and the implications that come from it and the solutions that actually end up happening make what you actually wanted impossible, you're going to be disappointed and Rust is going to have more complexity with little compensation beyond "somebody asked for something and we did it".

That's why proposals of any significant complexity (of which this certainly is) should really be done in RFC form (even if labeled as a pre- or pre-pre- stage). Its structure helps to get yourself to ask these kinds of questions before it gets wallowed in the details of how things actually end up having to work when put into instructions for a machine to actually perform.

14 Likes