Revisiting Rust’s modules, part 2

I’ve personally tabled the idea, in part because it would be a much more disruptive change to existing code. By contrast, the proposal in this thread, while requiring some breakage in the next checkpoint, has a very straightfoward, easily automatable fix.

In addition, there’s the possibility of something like _foo.rs being an anonymous module (or also the inline modules thread). So we may be able to recover that idea in a less disruptive, more orthogonal way.

At the moment, my personal focus is to try to find a relatively conservative option that (1) solves some of the more prominent issues in the module system and (2) lays a good foundation for future work like anonymous modules.

Please do not adopt JS’s use/from; it’s grotesque. Adopt Python’s from/use.

I mostly like this proposal, except for deprecating mod. I would like to keep a way to have submodules defined in the parent modules file, or explicitly specify the path of a module. But I’m fine with inferring module structure from directory structure by default.

I had several thoughts on (read: qualms about) the previous proposal.

My thoughts on this one are roughly: ship it. Lots of good discussion up thread about the trade offs but I think this neatly solves the specific teaching/learning model concerns I have with today’s module system as well as sidestepping those raised by the previous proposal.

Edit: except the no-private-modules part.

If modules are pub(crate) by default, then modules with _ e.g. _sub.rs can be used to make it private.