[Proposal] Add components availability history into nursery

Hi everyone! Some time ago I’ve developed a rather simple tool to monitor history of rustup components availability: post on reddit, repo, webpage with the results. As per discussion in rust-lang/rustup.rs, I propose to include the tool into the rust nursery and make it “official” :slight_smile:

I totally realize that first of all it requires some effort to maintain yet another tool (be it a cron-like job or a hook somewhere), and second of all most probably the tool needs some refactoring/reshaping to comply with the standards of how an official rust tool must look like. I don’t know if I can help somehow with the first item, but I’m eager to make any changes required to the tool itself :slight_smile:

Thanks!

I totally agree - this is an excellent tool and I also would like to help with any necessary changes to the tool code to make it acceptable.

The tool is extremely useful and I use it before every rustup update call, so that I even made a PR to include a link to it into the rustup.rs page - just to have it 1 click away at all times.

Thanks for proposing this!

I added the proposal to the infrastructure team’s meeting agenda. We meet every Tuesday at 18:00 UTC on #infra on Discord, if would be awesome if you can join when we discuss it! I can’t guarantee we’ll discuss it this Tuesday though, we have a lot of stuff in our agenda.

I’m also on Discord if you want to talk about the setup we’re using for tools like your one :smiley:

Yay, thanks @pietroalbini! Looking forward to join the meeting :slight_smile: Although I’d say there’s no rush and it’s perfectly fine if the topic gets postponed for another week or two (hope not more though :smile:).