Pre-RFC: flexible `try fn`

I apologize for that. The post wasn't formulated all too well and not in the best context. I was frustrated when writing it and I guess it is contagious.

I didn't really mean to say (very loosely paraphrasing) „we are all doomed!!! :frowning: “ but more like „Isn't there a way to fortify the process so it makes it easier to avoid the fate?“ I think the idea of no-feature RFC is worth exploring and I have some few more little ideas about that. You're right on the point that knowing about the danger is one of the best defences, but it's not necessary an externally visible one ‒ it may work against the bloat, but doesn't work all too well against the fear of bloat. And it also requires energy to use, which could be used somewhere else.

Also, wanting to improve something isn't necessarily a critique :innocent:.

And, maybe my own feeling is that Rust is approaching or has almost approached the phase of „Filled out“.

Anyway, I think this doesn't really belong in this thread (edit: For clarification, here I mean my ranting about RFC process ‒ I think it could be an interesting discussion, but not here. It is „meta“). So, how about: let's stop this meta-discussion here for now. I'll try to let the ideas I have ripe and formulate them better than I did here and I'll open a new thread (with more constructive wording) about it.

And thanks to the others for pointing out the blog post wouldn't have to be primarily about error handling, but about the deeper visions and reasoning about them ‒ it didn't click at the time.

3 Likes