Pre-RFC: Explicit Opt-in OIBIT for truly POD data and safe transmutes

I will mention it as a important alternative in the RFC. Changing a type to non-Copy is a massive backcompat problem due to the change in the semantics of assignment and binding in general.

I think there are two important points which make me lean towards automatically applying to not making Reinterpret opt-in:

1. Adding a private field to a struct with all public members is already non-backcompat because you’re making the ‘constructor’ private: i.e. I won’t be able to write MyStruct { field1: 10, field2: "asdf" } anymore. Therefore, if you want to leave the door open to private fields, you’ll have to add a dummy private field e.g. _dummy: () anyway.
  2. If you buy (1) and accept that a Public type has already commited to staying that way, then applying Reinterpret without explicit opt-in feels like a small leap: all the functions defined on a Reinterpret type could be manually implemented with safe code. They’re just fancy ways of setting the values of public fields.

That said, I’m sympathetic to backcompat worries, so, like I said, I’ll make sure this gets the right amount of space in the RFC.

Aha, finally read the whole thread. Looks like I re-implemented the same scheme suggested a few days ago! It’s still a bit messy but my current derive version is also up now: http://arcnmx.github.io/nue/nue_macros/

A few random comments, then…

• I’m for making the trait explicitly opt-in. I can’t imagine many situations where a type from an external crate needs to be mappable. I suppose newtypes aren’t a reasonable fallback though, without at least some sort of unsafe impl…
  • In line with 1, requiring all members to be public doesn’t seem necessary as long as it’s opt-in only from the crate that defines the type.
  • The repr requirement can be enforced with a #[derive(...)], though I do like the marker trait approach more. The language could really use some more marker traits!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.